2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2018 1:51 PM by kevin.stallings

Tableau Tooltip and Highlight functionality is very slow

himabindu tipirneni

Hi all,

Tooltips and highlight features take sometime to load in my workbook once it is published onto Tableau server.

The data sources used are >8 GB  and the number of worksheets used are 50 and one dashboard.

We cannot reduce the number of worksheets any further.

Data source size seems to impact only the initial load times and we have fixed it through caching.

However, tooltips and highlights take at least 5s to load.

How can this be optimized? Please suggest. Also, please note that this happens only on the server. Tableau desktop works fine.

Regards,

Bindu

• 1. Re: Tableau Tooltip and Highlight functionality is very slow
          patrick.byrne.0

Hi Himabindu,

I would check the response from Cor I have quoted below.

I realize this question is a bit old.  I just came upon it by searching for performance.

Performance can be tough to narrow down.  But since it has already been noted that the workbook performs well in Desktop it is likely due to to the Server / Network environment.

Both Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server use the vizql process for rendering views, though Tableau Sever has other components.

One thing to try to determine if the Server machine is under resourced is to install a copy of Tableau Desktop on the Tableau Server machine open the workbook and take a performance recording.

If the workbook performance slow it is likely due to the Tableau Server environment.

Some other information that would be helpful:

* What version of Tableau Server is being used? Most minor releases contain performance improvements.

* What browsers versions have been tested?

* Are you experiencing the same slowness from the office on your internal network?  Or is it only slow when you located somewhere else?

* Where is Tableau Sever hosted relative to your location?

* Is Tableau Server installed in a VM environment?  And if so, are resources being shared?

* Does the workbook always perform slow when loading in the browser? Or is it only slow at certain times of the day?

I believe the above is a good place to start to help things get narrowed down.

While we would expect Tableau Server to maybe be a little slower, what is being described here sounds different.

Original post: Dashboard Highlighting Performance Slower in Server versus Desktop

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick

• 2. Re: Tableau Tooltip and Highlight functionality is very slow
            kevin.stallings

I have this same question/issue.  What is noticeable is that some dashboards on the same server 10.5.2 are extremely response where as others take 5+ seconds for the tooltip to show.  When you look at the dashboards, they appear to be setup the same way.