2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2018 5:20 AM by Ken Lax

Date Time Field Importing Incorrectly

Jon Grote

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm encountering an issue when connecting to an Excel workbook. I have several date time fields in mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss AM/PM format. In the data preview screen within Tableau, I see the values as represented in Excel. However, when I add the field to a visualization in the workbook, Tableau has changed all of the time stamps to 12:00:00 AM.

Closed Date - Data Preview.png Visualization View.png

Ideally I'd like to build a heat map showing activity by hours, but without the correct time stamps, my data points are useless for that purpose.

Any ideas would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Jon

• 1. Re: Date Time Field Importing Incorrectly
          Jon Grote

So it turns out that some of my date values were returning the error string #N/A. As soon as I corrected the underlying values, I was able to see the correct timestamps.

• 2. Re: Date Time Field Importing Incorrectly
            Ken Lax

I have the same problem but I don't have any error messages.  My excel sheet has four columns, Date (in date format dd/mm/yy), time (time format 03:00:00) and then two files of numeric data.

I can convert the date and time to strings and then add them in a calculation to give me dd/mm/yy hh:mm:ss and then I can plot my data.  The only problem is that I cannot easily et up a filter to plot selected time periods.

Can you please tell me how you resolved your issue?  I can then try to replicate that.

Attached is a few lines from the excel file.

Kind regards