2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2019 11:35 AM by Jenny Chew

Action Filters Issue After Refresh Schedule Triggered

Renee Chan

I have a workbook with two dashboards and I have added an Action Filter between the two dashboards.  When I click on a value from Dashboard1, it will filter data for that value in Dashboard2.  This works on my Tableau desktop 10.5 when I have the data source in both live and extract connection.

When I publish the dashboards to Tableau Server as live connection, the action filter still works when I navigate through the dashboards online for that workbook.

When I publish the dashboards to Tableau Server as extract connection with a refresh schedule time setup, the filtering still works when I navigate through the dashboards.  However, when I select the Refresh Schedule of that workbook, and select RUN NOW, I received an email that Extract Refresh Failed.  The error message says: Connectionless Failure.

When I asked my Tableau Admin what the error was, I got some details.  For example:

1. java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to load Workbook Holdings Report

Warnings occurred while loading the workbook "Holdings Report".: Errors for 'Activity':

Field '[sqlproxy.03npl190hwd1nq1ez1k86196uy7v].[Action (Instrument Description)]' which is included for filtering does not exist.

: The worksheet "Activity" contains errors. The following will be removed:

•  There is no field named 'Action (Instrument Description)'.

However I do have a field name called Instrument Description which is what I used for the Action filtering.  Can someone explain what the problem is?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Action Filters Issue After Refresh Schedule Triggered
          patrick.byrne.0

Hello Renee,

I did some research on the error that was being received and did not find a precise known cause of the error being returned. There are a couple troubleshooting steps that I would like to have you attempt.

+ What happens if the field that is listed in the error message is removed from the view?

+ Does removing the filter action from the view allow for the data source to refresh as expected?

+ Does the error occur with any other extract refreshes?

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick

• 2. Re: Action Filters Issue After Refresh Schedule Triggered
            Jenny Chew

Hi Patrick,

I have the same exact issue as Renee.  However, my action filter was on Month.  If a user clicks on a particular month on a bar chart, it will bring the user to a second dashboard with a list of top 10 customers for that particular month.  The Month action filter is also added as context filter on the 2nd dashboard because it was needed to determine top 10.  I set this on a daily refresh schedule and it is failing daily with error message "Connectionless Failure".  Extract works fine with live connection.

To answer your questions above:

+ What happens if the field that is listed in the error message is removed from the view?  Extract refresh works with no errors

+ Does removing the filter action from the view allow for the data source to refresh as expected? > Yes

+ Does the error occur with any other extract refreshes? > No

The issue seemed to be from the Action filter.  I am on Tableau 10.4.  Appreciate any help on this.