5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2018 1:10 PM by Jennifer Hysuick

How to add alias to (All) value in a quick filter

Jennifer Hysuick

Good morning,

I am looking for a way to edit what is shown as the result of a filter (and no, I don't want to use parameters - I have used them in the past to do this, but there is no way to show "All Relevant Values" when there is more than one parameter).

To set the stage, I have 2 filters - Schools and Programs. Both are set to show only relevant values, which is what I want them to do. But I want to use the selected School and Program in the title of my worksheet.  When I have both filters set to (All) - the default at the top, it lists every item in the list:

What I am trying to do is have it show All Schools or All Programs when either filter is on (All).

Is this possible? Am I only dreaming of what could be done instead of what can be done.

I did look at the "nested" parameters post and solution, but I cannot get the Program parameter to refresh what is in the list based on what is selected in the School parameter, so I'm hoping that I can do this some other way. The only reason we originally went with parameters is to have the All Schools/All Programs text available to us.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: How to add alias to (All) value in a quick filter
          Vinnie Ahuja

Hi Jennifer

I have had a similar situation where I wanted to limit the number of selections in the filter (i.e. the user would not see certain ones).  The same solution may work here to.

Try the following...you will need to repeat the steps for both Schools and Programs.

- Duplicate the field (e.g. Schools (copy 2))

- Add this field to filters and set to "only relevant values"  (or otherwise limit the selections as you need to (i.e manually select them)...this is what I did for my issue))

- Add this filter to the context

- Add the other/original filter (e.g. Schools) to the filters shelf and select "use all"

- Show the filter card, set this filter to "All values in the context"

- Use the original field (e.g. Schools) in the title

I hope this works for you!

Cheers

Vinnie

• 3. Re: How to add alias to (All) value in a quick filter
            Joe Oppelt

What I did in there:

Sheet 2.  Simple sheet.  Two dimensions.  Title shows the value(s) of the dimensions.

3:  I dragged Region to filters.  Automatically, Tableau expands out the values in the title (even though ALL is selected).  Change the filter.  Go to ALL.  Now the title says ALL again.  (I don't like that Tableau does this.  It's not consistent.  But there it is.)

4:  I created a calc to tell me how many regions can be the max.  See [Regions in data].  I displayed that on the title.  Change the filter.  Value remains at 4.

5:  I changed the REGION filter to be in context.  NOW that FIXED LOD obeys the filter.  this is crucial to the next sheet where STATES will be "Only Relevant".  The same principle will apply to my [States in data] calc there.

6:  Here I made my [States on page] calc.  It differs from the [States in data] in that it counts what has been selected rather than what the max could be on the page.

7:  Here I created both [States on sheet] and [states in data].  You can see how they interact.

8:  I made a calc called index.  I set it to run down the table, along States, and then along Region.  This gives me a count from 1-through-N, alphabetically along all the states.  Then I created a [List of states] calc that runs along the same order as INDEX, and builds a growing list of all the states.  you can see the output on TEXT.

9:  Final step.  I built a calc that either displays ALL if the two [States...] calcs are equal (meaning the user has selected all available states) or the MAX list of states in that growing string of [List of states].

And that's how you control the value when you have something other than the true "All" list from the overall data source.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 4. Re: How to add alias to (All) value in a quick filter
              Jennifer Hysuick

I tried the other solution which did work, but I'm going to give yours a try as well and see if this is easier/quicker/neater.  Thank you!

• 5. Re: How to add alias to (All) value in a quick filter
                Jennifer Hysuick

Thank you - your solution, and your workbook were a huge help for me to get this working.