2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2018 9:29 PM by Shea O'Neill

Create Date Line Chart when Column Headers are Date but Values Are Not

Shea O'Neill

Hello Everyone,

Still wrapping my head fully around Tableau - so my apologies if I don't have the language 100% correct. I want to make a line chart that depicts population change over time for a number of American Cities. My data is structured such that each row is a CITY, and the attributes are information about the city (I have a screenshot below). Eventually there are a few columns for Population 1930, Population 1940, etc. Each of these would be a measure. I would love to create a quick line using 1930-2016 as the dates -- but I cannot as their values are a measure (population) -- it is really only the Column Header that is a date.

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 9.11.47 PM.png

I know that I could filter measure values for the Population 1930-2016 fields, and put the Measure Names on the Columns row to achieve a similar effect but I've noticed it enormously overcompensates the size of the columns and so its not a fluid graph like a date line chart (screenshot from another project)

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 9.14.06 PM.png

I imagine that if restructured my dataset such that Rows were at the level of CITY/YEAR (i.e one row would be Philly 1930, Philly 1940, etc) I could do this easier, but I don't really want to do that. Anyone have any tips for how I might accomplish this? Thanks!