3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2018 2:59 AM by Okechukwu Ossai

How to join unrelated postal code datasets

Mic Tay

Hi,

I have a two tables with postal code data that I would like to visualise on the map. The first table consists of the names of specific buildings, there are no other traits attributed to these. The second table consists of individuals, which have many traits that I’m using filters to view on the map. How do I bring both into the same map? Currently both datasets do not have any relationship with one another - one are buildings and the other are people. Any help is much appreciated

Cheers,

Mic

• 1. Re: How to join unrelated postal code datasets
          Naveen B

Hi Mic,

Create Join condition on with

Drop the Columns and create a calculation with value 1 in both data source and join on them

1=1

Related Link: When to use 1=1 joining condition

so what will happen it will create a cross product and you will get the data

or else if both the data sources are of same format using the union all option in tableau

Union all related link : Union Your Data

Hope this helps kindly mark this answer as correct or helpful so that it will help others

BR,

NB

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to join unrelated postal code datasets
            Ritesh Bisht

Hi Mic,

Can you try to Union data ?

NAME/BUILDING        POSTAL CODE

A                                    123

B                                    123

BUILDING NAME           213344

Thanks,

Ritesh

• 3. Re: How to join unrelated postal code datasets
              Okechukwu Ossai

Hi Mic,

How is it possible to analyse these datasets if they are completely unrelated? I believe there must be a relationship. If you want to visualize them on a map, this means the datasets should have geographical data like Country, State, City, Postal Codes etc. If yes, you can union the data.

For this to work, both datasets should have the same column names. For example, the first table with no other traits should still have the same column names as the second table but with null values.

Hope this helps.

Ossai