2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2018 10:40 AM by Matt Bouton

Size Containers Automatically?

Matt Bouton
      Hi all,
      In advance, I know this is not the ideal use case for Tableau, but am using this familiar format to segue into deeper visualizations.  I also cannot share the workbook due to the sensitive nature contained. I am in Tableau 2018.2.

I have a dashboard with two tiled containers horizontally bordering each other, with columns by month (Excel mockup below). The left object contains a text table for current and past months; the right object contains future. This was done because specific formatting rules apply to present / past that do not in future (column headers, conditional formatting, tool-tip requirements, etc). The boxes must be as close together as possible AND all cells must be able to be selected, hence not using floating objects and manipulating layout  (similar todynamic resize layout container tableau 9.0). I have seen solutions that utilize Actions to toggle distinct worksheets for each month (i.e. - selecting January would take a variation of the left object with 1 column and right with 11), but this is not ideal.

I am hoping to have the containers dynamically adjust width (manual approach is not scalable), keep column widths, and not need a scroll bar when a month shifts from the right box to the left. A database field is driving which months go to which box, and I'm hoping to have Tableau similarly automated.

Any thoughts or tips are appreciated!
      Matt

Mockup.jpg

• 1. Re: Size Containers Automatically?
          Mavis Liu

Hi Matt,

I have one idea:

You can make multiple horizontal containers. Each container would contain two sheets which shows the different outcomes, ie container 1 has month jan on the left and months feb-dec on the right. Second container has jan and feb on the left, march - dec on the right etc.

Then you can manually size it to be the right size.

The last thing to do is to use the size() table calculation to hide and show the view.

So for example, if the size of the left hand size is 1 (as there's only only january), then the first container will show the two sheets. All the other sheets would be hidden. This means only the ones with the relevant size will appear in your view.

Thanks,

Mavis

• 2. Re: Size Containers Automatically?
            Matt Bouton

Hi Mavis,

Thank you for your reply!

This is a creative solution that solves the problem, but I'm (ideally) hoping to minimize the number of sheets involved.  Speed performance of this dashboard is a top priority and taking an extract is not possible with our data source.  I'll run performance tests with this solution, but I'm concerned that when each sheet contains a significant number of metrics, the filtering that needs to be applied across these 23 different sheets will cause slowness during user interaction.

Thanks,

Matt