1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 23, 2018 12:42 PM by Jim Dehner

How best to represent flow of data over different units of time in dashboard?

sarah.elazab

I am monitoring flow of data into a database and I put together a dashboard showing monthly flow of data. What do I do if I'm interested in also monitoring the data on a daily or yearly basis? What's the best way of doing this, particularly if I will be handing off the workbook to someone who just wants to be able to quickly view the data without messing around with filters? My thought process was putting together three separate workbooks with dashboards, one per unit of time, but I'm not sure if there's a more straightforward approach.

• 1. Re: How best to represent flow of data over different units of time in dashboard?
          Jim Dehner

Sarah

did you ever get a response?  Just my POV - if you are handing this off to someone that just wants to see a top line indicator of the process I would suggest using only 1 workbook (also easier to keep in sync) and you do the daily,weekly,monthly work behind the scenes

Create a dashboard with one simple parameter where the user selects - Day/Week or Month and you use a sheet swap to bring up the correct worksheet from the 3 that you have created and hidden - all the boss sees is the d/b and parameter -

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.