4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2018 9:30 AM by Matt Coles

Viz alert on dual axis with different thresholds for each Team

Jagdish Sama

Hey Guys,

There is a situation I am working on to get Alerts for each team with different Threshold values in a multiple axis chart.

Example : For Warm Transfer's Team A has a threshold value <90% means anything below 90% the team lead should get a email,

For Cold Transfer's Team A has a threshold value >40% means anything above 40% the team lead should get a email,

So there should be only one Chart on the dashboard showing 3 axis as %Total Transfers(ward,cold,%total) and alert should be applied on them.

Is this possible or not???

• 1. Re: Viz alert on dual axis with different thresholds for each Team
          Jonathan Drummey

Hi,

Are you looking to set up Tableau's built-in data driven alerts for this or VizAlerts?

Jonathan

• 3. Re: Viz alert on dual axis with different thresholds for each Team
            Jonathan Drummey

I'd suggest using an Advanced Alert for this, for me at least it's simpler than a simple alert. This is also because I'm imagining the rule is a little more complex, for example is the alert to be based on the most recent month, average across all months, or something else?

The Advanced Alert starts with a trigger view that has the Email To/From/Subject/Body/Attachment fields, so it has one record per alert (that might be sent to  multiple users at once depending on how you've configured the Email To field). Usually I just build this in a crosstab because it's easier to see validate what it's doing.

The threshold condition would be created by a calculated field on your data that implements the necessary rule. For example I might build a trigger view that is already filtered for the most recent month's data and then build a calculation like CASE ATTR([team]) WHEN 'a' THEN [warm transfer] < .9 WHEN 'b' THEN [cold transfer] > .4 END. Once the calc is validated then that goes on the Filters Shelf.

The advanced alert would then have a content reference that is either a VIZ_IMAGE() (in the Email Body or Email Attachment) or VIZ_PDF() (in the email attachment) that points to the dashboard that you want to send.

After the trigger view is published to Tableau Server you (as the trigger view owner) would subscribe the trigger view  to a VizAlerts schedule. Then what happens is:

VizAlerts downloads the trigger view based on the schedule.

If the trigger view has no data then nothing happens.

If the trigger view has any records then VizAlerts processes each record as an alert - downloading all the necessary content references and sending out the emails/texts/etc.

Does that answer your question?

Jonathan

• 4. Re: Viz alert on dual axis with different thresholds for each Team
              Matt Coles

Just a reminder that since v2.1.0 came out, you don't need to hide your data any more. You can simply code the Email Action calc to return a 1 for "trigger the alert" or a 0 for "do nothing". That way your data is always present on the viz, and you can throw that field onto the Color shelf or what have you to see what would trigger the alert, when you play with various filters. Easier to troubleshoot and prettier to look at!