2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2018 8:29 PM by Jennifer VonHagel

Static Images not appearing when published to Tableau Public

Jennifer VonHagel

Hi, I have a workbook that will be published to Tableau Public, then embedded from Tableau Public in a website.

**Edited to add: I am using The licensed 2018.2 Desktop software.

The first page of the dashboard when opened has some static images on it. These images are brought directly onto the dashboard as "Image" objects (as opposed to being part of a chart - like a custom shape or chart background image).  I have found both when opening it from Tableau Public and when opening it from an embedded iframe, that after the first several times it has been opened, the images on the first page do not always load. If the images are NOT on the first page, but on a page the user has to navigate to, then they do seem to always reliably load. It's just the first page of the dashboard that seems to have an issue. I have created a simple workbook to demonstrate the problem. This is a tiny workbook (smaller and simpler than my real workbook) and the images load more reliably than my bigger more complex workbook, but I did open this workbook a bunch of times until I found the images not loading.  So the issue is recreated even in this simple workbook.

This is the workbook when the first page has images:

https://public.tableau.com/views/StaticImageIssue/Main?:embed=y&:display_count=yes&publish=yes

This is the same workbook except that the images are on the second page:

https://public.tableau.com/views/StaticImageIssue-ImagebeyondPage1/Return?:embed=y&:display_count=yes&publish=yes

Files that embed these reports in simple iframe code are attached, along with the .twbx. What is interesting with the .html files is if I edit and save the file, the first time after being saved the images always load. It is only on the second (or twentieth) time you open the report that first page static images sometimes do not show up.

Some things I've tried:

1. Embed the dashboard using javascript rather than iframe, but the same issue occurred. Not surprising since this can also occur when opening the report up directly from Tableau Public (not embedded).

2. I found an article in Tableau Help that if you publish something to Tableau Online you can set an option to include external files, but I am working with Tableau Public in this case and that option is not available. Unable To Display Images In Published View or Dashboard | Tableau Software

For the images we are using, we get the best quality by bringing the image in as a dashboard object, so I really don't want to do a workaround of first putting it into a chart as a custom shape or background image.  For now we are getting around this by planning to create a simple first page with no static images that the user will have to click something to navigate to the "true" first page of the report.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Thanks,

Jennifer

• 1. Re: Static Images not appearing when published to Tableau Public
          Chris Jokel

Hi Jennifer,

I was encountering the same issue on Tableau Public, so I sent a request to their Support team.

The crux of their response is that this is a rendering issue on Tableau Public and there is no hard solution at the moment.

They suggested creating worksheets that only contain the image you want to use, but depending on how many images you have this might be a pain. I haven't had the time to do this myself.

-Chris

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Static Images not appearing when published to Tableau Public
            Jennifer VonHagel

HI Chris, thanks for taking the time to update this thread.  I also got in touch with Tableau but they said they couldn't help me since it is a free website and can't provide individual support (that's totally fair, but I hoped that since I am a paying client they would help ).

My project was a 30+ page report (more like a web app) for exploring the results of a climate study. The first page and many subsequent pages had professionally designed infographics that were brought in as images. Instead of using the image object on the dashboard, I tried putting the image as a background image on a worksheet, as well as saving the infographic to custom shapes, then adding it to the dashboard, but the image quality came out very poorly once published online. The infographics are fairly complex (in that they aren't simple small icons) with text, and we needed a higher quality.

The report is navigated via action filters, and I found that if the user navigates to a page via action filter, then the image seems to always show up. It's just the first page where I was finding an issue.

So since this was a large report anyway, we decided to put an extra cover page on the report, from which the user has to click a button to start going through the report. This seemed to take care of it.

There are several images on the title page, but my client was able to host a special page on their website (with no header or side nav - only the content that should show in the main body of the Tableau title page, and sized perfectly to the pixel for what was needed in Tableau), and I added it to the title page as a web object calling the page from their website.

https://newclimate.org/2018/09/09/climate-opportunity-online-dashboard/

Thanks,

Jennifer

P.S. I'll go ahead and close the thread since there's nothing more to be done. Thanks again for letting me know what you found.