5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2018 2:58 AM by Muna Abdullah

Split dimension

Muna Abdullah

Hi,

I have an excel sheet from World Contraceptive 2018 data which contains one dimension 'Indicator' which I want to split into separate indicators 'modern method' 'unmet need' 'demand satisfied'. I found on the previous Tableau discussion on how to split the dimension through a calculated field and it did split but I want to link each indicator with a selected value of age group [15-49] only. Can someone help, please.

Attached is the excel sheet.

Thank you

Muna 

• 1. Re: Split dimension
          Jeevan Krishna

Hi Muna,

When you say you want to create seperate index , do you mean you want to create seperate coloumns essentially?

If so, you can just add an extra condition while creating these columns so that your fields are only linked with [15-49] age group.

For a separate 'Modern Method' Field , create your calculated field like this.

Sum(

IF

[Indicator] = 'Modern Method'

and

[Age Group] = '[15-49]'

then

[Data Value]

end

)

Indicator

Similarly you can make the change for rest of the 2 calculations.

Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Split dimension
            Muna Abdullah

Hi Jeevan,

Thanks for your answer. I tried the formula and it shows me the below error message.

• 3. Re: Split dimension
              Don Wise

Hello Muna,

Please see below and attached Tableau workbook for a solution.  If this answers your question, please mark this response as correct. If helpful please mark as helpful.  So that others may find it useful in the future.  Thx, Don

Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 8.54.50 AM.png

• 4. Re: Split dimension
                Okechukwu Ossai

Hi Muna,

May I ask why you want to split the Indicator field? Do you want to present your results as tables or charts? There could be several other ways to resolve this if you can say what you want to achieve.

Ossai

• 5. Re: Split dimension
                  Muna Abdullah

Hi Ossai,

I wanted to see separately 'Modern method' 'Unmet need' and 'Demand Satisfied by modern method'. All these three indicators are now under one measure as 'Indicator'. It is not to make a table, I wanted to explore the trend of these three indicators for individual countries specifically for East and Southern Africa countries.

Thanks

Muna