5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2018 2:54 AM by LAWRENCE Slash

How to hide colums with filters

LAWRENCE Slash

Good day,

Please I have a request

On my dashboard I an trying to achieve this vitalization.

When I select Position A only I see only bar chart for Position A

When I select position B I get this

And when I select Position C

Is this possible. right now I get all the information coming in.

Attached is the workbook

Thanks a lot for you anticipated her. I applicate y'all.

• 1. Re: How to hide colums with filters
          Mavis Liu

Hi Lawrence,

Some examples are listed here: swapping worksheets | Drawing with Numbers

Thanks,

Mavis

• 2. Re: How to hide colums with filters
            Joe Oppelt

I'm trying to understand the requirement here.

Are you looking for a way that the user can see either the first view, or the second view, or the 3rd view?

If so, Mavis is right.  Make 3 sheets with either A or B or C on the Columns shelf, and swap them.  Use a parameter to let the user select A or B or C and display the selected sheet based on the parameter value.

If that's what you want, I can do some of it for you in your example workbook.

• 3. Re: How to hide colums with filters
              LAWRENCE Slash

Hi Joe,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Please can you please do some on it so i see how it works.

Thanks a lot.

Impossible is nothing

On Friday, August 10, 2018, 2:02:24 p.m. CDT, Joe Oppelt <tableaucommunity@tableau.com> wrote: 

#yiv7419752788 * #yiv7419752788 a #yiv7419752788 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv7419752788 #yiv7419752788 h1, #yiv7419752788 h2, #yiv7419752788 h3, #yiv7419752788 h4, #yiv7419752788 h5, #yiv7419752788 h6, #yiv7419752788 p, #yiv7419752788 hr {}#yiv7419752788 .yiv7419752788button td {}

|

Tableau Community Forums 

|

How to hide colums with filters

reply from Joe Oppelt in Forums - View the full discussion

I'm trying to understand the requirement here.

Are you looking for a way that the user can see either the first view, or the second view, or the 3rd view?

If so, Mavis is right.  Make 3 sheets with either A or B or C on the Columns shelf, and swap them.  Use a parameter to let the user select A or B or C and display the selected sheet based on the parameter value.

If that's what you want, I can do some of it for you in your example workbook.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Tableau Community Forums

Start a new discussion in Forums by email or at Tableau Community Forums

Following How to hide colums with filters in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by Tableau Community Forums because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Tableau Community Forums, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

• 4. Re: How to hide colums with filters
                Joe Oppelt

In the attached I made 3 copies of Sheet 2.  One displays only by Position A.  One by Position B.  The third by Position C.  I think those are the three views you are looking to achieve.

I also made a parameter.  [Pick a Position].  This lets the user select A, B, or C.  And I made a calc that collects the value of that parameter.  ([Chosen Position].)  I put that calc on filters for the A sheet and the B sheet.  you can do the same for C.  Then on the A and B sheet I set the filter value to A or B respectively.  Now the sheet displays only when the correct parameter value is selected.  Play with the three sheets and see how that looks and works.

Go to Dashboard 2.  Here I made a horizontal container and dragged the A and B sheets into it.  I added the parameter to the dashboard.  When you select A, then the A sheet displays.  Same for B.  You can add C to the container.  This is called swapping.

Next I figured you would want the A or B or C filter to display with the appropriate sheet.  Go to Dashboard 2(2).  I created a sheet called "Pop out B".  This works just like the B sheet.  It displays itself when B is selected.  On dashboard 2(2) I created a vertical container and dragged the Pop out sheet into it.  Then I added the B filter and dragged it below the pop out sheet in the container.  Swap between A and B in the parameter.  You'll see how The pop out sheet pushes the filter downward in the container when B is selected, and when A is selected the pop out sheet disappears and the filter tucks up to the top of the container.  This is called Popping.

Of course you don't want all this happening on top of your actual data sheets!  So go to Dashboard 2(3).  Here I changed the starting position of the vertical container to a negative value.  That placed the start of the container off the actual dashboard view.    The B filter will hide outside the dashboard boundaries until the user selects B, and then it will get pushed into view by the pop out sheet.

There is a video we made that shows how to do swapping and popping.  You can find it here:

We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Filter Popping on a dashboard.

I'm sure you'll have questions as you start to play with this.  I'm glad to answer anything that comes up.

• 5. Re: How to hide colums with filters
                  LAWRENCE Slash

Good morning Joe,

Thanks a lot.

This was very helpful.

Thanks a lot for your help.