1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 2, 2018 8:09 PM by Donald Nong

How to test windows partition is recognized by Tableau/check for errors.

gabriela..zorrilla

Hi there. I followed this guide: Tableau Server on Linux -- Connecting to a Windows Shared Directory

To mount the windows partitions I have. However, when an extract is refreshed by the server there is a login failure. How can i test the drive is properly recognized by Tableau in the command line? Or at least check some in-depth logs? The connection details is greyed out in the admin interface.

Thanks!

Edit: this is an example of an auto.cifs line:

/mnt/gondor/"Tech Support" -fstype=cifs,username=NAME,password=PASS,noserverino,iocharset=utf8,uid=tableau,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,vers=2.1 ://gondor.DOMAIN.com/dfs/"Tech Support"/Tableau"

• 1. Re: How to test windows partition is recognized by Tableau/check for errors.
          Donald Nong

I suggest you verify that the new mount point is accessible before going any further. Check the "7. Debugging Auto Mount Problems" section in the below document. If you have problems with Linux/autofs, you can still ask the questions here but probably it's more beneficial to ask on forums dedicated to Linux.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Autofs

Of course, if the mount point is accessible, but Tableau Server cannot access it, it becomes a Tableau configuration issue, and you need to give us more information about your Tableau environment such as version, what user runs the Tableaus Server and etc.

In the setting that you posted, the escaping is definitely not right, as in the Linux world, you would usually use the backslash (\) to escape special characters. So your setting should look like this (you need to escape any special characters in the password PASS as well):

/mnt/gondor/Tech\ Support -fstype=cifs,username=NAME,password=PASS,noserverino,iocharset=utf8,uid=tableau,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,vers=2.1 ://gondor.DOMAIN.com/dfs/Tech\ Support/Tableau

While autofs provides some convenience, it is also difficult to debug. I suggest you use the usual mount to verify your arguments first before putting them into auto.cifs. The equivalent command for your setting is:

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=NAME,password=PASS,noserverino,iocharset=utf8,uid=tableau,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,vers=2.1 //gondor.DOMAIN.com/dfs/Tech\ Support/Tableau /mnt/gondor/Tech\ Support

(You can see that the part after "-o " is the same as the part after "-fstype=cifs," in the auto.cifs file)