5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2018 10:29 PM by Peter Fakan

Where is Tableau extract resides?

priti.shah.0

Hi,

I have oracle datasource which resides on another serverA. I saved .twb on another serverB. I publish the datasource and workbook on  tableau server.

when I create an extract and schedule it to refresh everyday

1. where is the extract resides?

2. is tableau users are making connection to base oracle database?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Where is Tableau extract resides?
          Peter Fakan

Hi Priti,

If the .twb is published on server it should be in the /your tableau install directory/Datasources on the local drive of the server you installed it on.

I'm not sure about your second question, but the answer is it depends on your install and whether or not Tableau is running as a user and using its users credentials or as its own entity. If this is related to your first question - I'm not sure, I need more details.

HTH

Peter

• 2. Re: Where is Tableau extract resides?
            priti.shah.0

Thanks Peter for your quick response.

I'm on Tableau10.4

My database is on Server1

I created extract .

I'm saving .twb file on my shared drive on Server2

My tableau server is TableauProd

after finish develop the workbooks I published the data source and published the workbook on TableauProd.

where the extract will be? or whenever user login to tableauserver to view the workbooks they are connecting to server1?

I have tableau desktop installed on my local pc.

thanks.

-Priti

• 3. Re: Where is Tableau extract resides?
              Peter Fakan

Hi Priti,

My best guess is that the data on server is being uploaded to the local server drive. Users interact with that data source (the one on server), not your working extracts that your  desktop data source is using.

I'm a bit confounded though now - why ? what is the problem you are trying to solve ?

Peter

• 4. Re: Where is Tableau extract resides?
                priti.shah.0

This is auditing purpose. need to know if any tableau users are connecting to dataserver. are they?

• 5. Re: Where is Tableau extract resides?
                  Peter Fakan

Hi Priti,

The way to confirm if they are connecting to data server is to go to your data source tab at the bottom left corner and inspect the connection. Unfortunately without any further detail its a bit hard to advise you from there, but it should be fairly clear if its a live database connection or if its creating an extract from that pane.

HTH

Peter