3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2018 9:51 AM by Carisa Chang

Activate Tableau Desktop licence as Creator role

Egor Rogov

Hi, gurus!

I a little bit stuck with new license roles, just today i upgraded Tableau Server to 2018.2 version.

I have 10+ license with Explorer Role (Tableau Server) and 2 license of Tableau Desktop.

The question is:

Tableau Desktop is equivalent to Creator role? Can i activate my Tableau Desktop license as Creator Role?

I already did some steps to configure my Tableau Desktop (Configure Tableau Desktop Reporting ) but still don't understand with activating Creator Role.

Thanks, Egor

• 1. Re: Activate Tableau Desktop licence as Creator role
          Carisa Chang

Hi Egor,

Activating a Tableau Desktop license will activate Tableau Desktop for you - but it will not add a Creator license to Tableau Server.

If you have a Tableau Creator license, it will activate *both* Tableau Desktop and Tableau Prep - and add a Creator license to Tableau Server.

If you would like to convert your Tableau Desktop license to a Tableau Creator license, your Tableau Account Manager can help you there!

• 2. Re: Activate Tableau Desktop licence as Creator role
            Cedric Biron

Hi Egor,

I have also been confused by the new pricing and licensing model, and consequences in terms of license keys.

Short answer: "Creator" is not equivalent to Tableau desktop.

Long answer: if you are a Tableau Dashboard developer, you will need several Tools and rights, and thus several license keys.

• 1 Tableau software desktop license key per developer, so you can develop
            • (potentially 1 Tableau prep desktop license key per developer)
            • Several Tableau server license keys, at least one key for each role on the server:
              • at least 1 key for a pack of creators (the Tableau server admin consumes one of them)
              • at least 1 key for a pack of explorers
              • at least 1 key for a pack of viewers

In your case, it seems that you miss a Tableau server license key in order to have some Creators. With this, you will be able to add a Creator user (login and password), which you will be able to use in order to connect to Tableau server from your Tableau desktop, and finally publish your dashboards.

A similar question on Tableau server licenses is present here: https://community.tableau.com/message/855311#

Bests

Cedric

• 3. Re: Activate Tableau Desktop licence as Creator role
              Carisa Chang

Hi Cedric,

Thank you for jumping in to answer Egor's question! The description you have is not quite right, I'll try to clarify a bit to smooth out the rough edges.

With legacy Tableau licenses, as a Dashboard developer publishing to Tableau Server, you would need:

• 1 Tableau Desktop license to activate Tableau Desktop (starting with TD)
              • 1 user account on a Tableau Server (with publish permissions) that was activated using a Tableau Server license (starting with TS)

With the new Role Based licenses for Tableau, you have a few options as a Dashboard developer, based on the type of license you have today:

• If you have a Tableau Desktop (TD) key today, you can publish to a Tableau Server using legacy licenses or Role Bases license, as long as your user account on Tableau Server has publish permissions
                • You can use an Explorer (can publish) site role to publish, you do not need a Creator license. This is how users with TD keys can continue to develop and publish to a Tableau Server using Role Bases licenses.

• If you have a Tableau Creator (TC) key today, that key is used to activate Tableau Desktop, Tableau Prep, and a Creator seat for you on Tableau Server.
                • You do not need any other keys for Tableau Server, your TC key gives you a Tableau Server account.