3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2018 6:24 AM by Russell Young

Truncated y-axis symbol

Russell Young

Is there an easy way to show an indicator where the y-axis is not starting at zero?  Example zig-zag indicator from ONS, as borrowed from Andy Kirk's The little of visualisation design: Part 54 - Visualising Data  

I appreciate that in most cases it's best to have the axis down to zero, but sometimes - such as below - it does make sense to cut the axis down.   Thanks

• 1. Re: Truncated y-axis symbol
          patrick.byrne.0

Hello Russell,

There are a couple ways that you could accomplish something similar to this in Tableau Desktop.

One method would be to set the tick marks origin to be a number more suitable to the Viz, as the example gives above, at 68.

To accomplish this, right click the axis > Edit Axis > Tick Marks > Tick Origin

Additionally you can also set the range in the axis to be fixed. So that it will start at a different range than at 0. More information on fixed axises here: Edit Axes

The ability to have a button or something more automatic to create the view like the one above could be requested to be added to the product via a Tableau Idea. Please add the idea here: Ideas

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick

• 2. Re: Truncated y-axis symbol
            Brandon Kidwell

Hello Russell,

This is not a technical solution and might have negative drawbacks if your dashboard needs to be resized for various screens but you could simply place a floating transparent .png of the icon or image you wish to place at the axis.

I could not find a great zigzag like that but I did find scissors Scissor PNG Picture - Clip Art Library

Hope this helps!

Best,

Brandon

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Truncated y-axis symbol
              Russell Young

Thanks Brandon.  That creative approach will do the trick as an improvised solution!  Good idea. Best, Russell