2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2018 1:27 AM by Tableau learner

Column hiding

Tableau learner

Hi,

I have a workbook which is using HANA live data source.One particular direct column from HANA is used in a calculated field.The users want measures names to be kept on filter.

So my question is if I hide the the original column and publish the workbook,will the calculated filed still work or it will give error.

Regards,

Sasmita

• 1. Re: Column hiding
          Andrew Bickert

Hi Sasmita,

Calculated fields in Tableau require that the field is visible. I do not believe that you would even have the option to hide a column if it is being referenced by a dimension/measure that is on a sheet/dashboard. You can get around this in a limited fashion by using parameters to control which Measure Names are visible but it is not always practical if you have a lot of Measures.

To do this you would need to create a parameter called "Measure" with the Measures you would like to include.

Create a calculation called Measures to get the values for the different measures you would want.

CASE [Measure]

WHEN  "Days to Ship Actual" then [Days to Ship Actual]

WHEN "Days to Ship Scheduled" then [Days to Ship Scheduled]

WHEN "Discount" then [Discount]

When "Profit" then [Profit]

WHEN "Sales" then [Sales]

WHEN "Quantity" then [Quantity]

END

Add your Measure Names Filter to the top and choose your "Measures" Calculation, add the parameter to the view and the Measure Value.

Attached a workbook for reference, again not ideal if you have a lot of measures but works in some cases.

Andrew

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Column hiding
            Tableau learner

Thank you so much Andrew for the response.I got your point.