Tableau has done a really good job of developing “Starter” Dashboard for data sources such as Salesforce and Marketo. These Dashboard Starters look beautiful and have great calculations that can be leveraged in your own worksheets and visualizations.
One restriction of the Dashboard Starters is they only work with Tableau extracts. Extracts have limitations and can sometimes be cumbersome to deal with. Even unhiding a field requires a rebuild of the extract and the data is only as current as the last refresh of the extract. Sometimes it is preferred to use a reporting database instead of the extracts used by default. But, it can be tricky to “swap out” one data source for another in Tableau it requires a few steps. Below I will list the steps required to swap out the Extract used in a dashboard starter for a reporting database.
2. Publish the new data source to Tableau Server or save it as a Tableau Saved Data Source .tds.
3. Go to the Dashboard Starter - Add that as a New Data Source.
4. Close the original data source.
5. Look for Dimensions and Measures with a red !
6. Right click on dimensions or measures to replace references to the new database field names.
That’s it. Of course it may be more complex than that if your database is very different than the original data. It may be difficult to determine what tables and fields are really the ones you want. And you may not yet have a reporting database. If either of these is the case it is best to work with someone who really knows the underlying data (just to be safe).
Monica Van Loon
And let me know if this is useful information
Thank you for sharing Monica.