2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2018 9:07 PM by nicolestephanie.osorio

Flood Recurrence Curve

nicolestephanie.osorio

Hi all,

I am trying to create an exceedance curve using time series data. I created tables to see if I got the numbers I also got in Excel and I did. The trouble is that my curve is not working as expected.

Those are what I have on Tableau. I want my plot to look like this from Excel.

I have the numbers right on Tableau as shown by the tables but I just can't make it to give me a visualization I obtained from doing a similar process in Excel.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Flood Recurrence Curve
          swaroop.gantela

Nicole,

I think it may just be an issue with the settings of your table calculations.

This may have been the method you already used, but I would suggest duplicating your table

to another sheet, and then moving the pills on that sheet around to create the graph.

In the table, the table calculation settings are Table Down, but that may not work when you

switch it to a graph. I would recommend setting the Compute Using to MONTH([(Date]).

Then from the table, I would:

- drag the Month([Date]) pill to the Detail shelf

- drag the Rank to the Detail shelf

- drag Exceedance to the Columns shelf

- drag Sum([Unique Value]) to the Rows shelf

I used that method in the workbook v10.3 attached in the Forum Thread.

If that is not similar to yours, please adjust it to match your calculations.

Better still, if you have the permission to do so, please post

a packaged workbook (twbx) Packaged workbooks: when, why, how

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flood Recurrence Curve
            nicolestephanie.osorio

Thank you so much!

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 9.06.23 PM.png

It worked! I have been stuck at this for hours and was just watching a bunch of tableau videos hoping that something will kick in.. Thank you so much again!