1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 3, 2018 7:36 PM by swaroop.gantela

Different dates same axis and action filters

Matthew Yandell-Thomas

Hi all,

I'm still trying to get to grips with Tableau and I would appreciate some help please. I am trying to make an interactive map using vectors and tabular data with a time element. I would like to plot the values of two tables on the same graph. However, one table contains a monthly average whereas the other has exact dates. Both datasets do cover the same time period and all values are between 0 and 1.

Here's an example of what I am trying to achieve

BasicMap.PNG

This image shows my vectors. When I click on a polygon a graph will appear showing a time series as below:

Graph01.PNG

(Please ignore the different date range in this example. I know have new data covering the same time period)

I originally had two separate graphs and you could click multiple polygons to compare results. I achieved this by dropping the polygon ID field into the colour slot

Graph02.PNG

I have received a request to combine both plots onto a single graph but I'm struggling to get them to plot accurately (I think this would look horrible when selecting multiple polygons, but I would like to do it to show my manager how bad it would look).

Here's an extract of the date fields I'm working with as an example:

2017102720171106201711232017120120180125201803262018040520180420201805072018051720180606

And here's my first dual axis plot:

DualAxis01.PNG

And if I set the date to exact date the plot changes to this:

DualAxis02.PNG

It's also summing the values for each individual polygon which is something I don't want to happen.

Whereas what I'm trying to achieve is something like this:

Graph03.PNG

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies if I haven't explained myself quite so clearly. I'm rushing this morning!

Thanks,

Matt

• 1. Re: Different dates same axis and action filters
          swaroop.gantela

Matt,

I'm not sure that I quite caught the gist, but please see if the below could give ideas.

I joined my daily and monthly tables on region alone.

Then to filter out unneeded combinations, I made of filter of:

DATE(DATETRUNC('month',[DailyDate]))=MAKEDATE(INT(LEFT([Month],4)),INT(RIGHT([Month],2)),1)

Then I plotted the two vaules using the MeasureName/MeasureValue method

and got them all to plot together and continuously.

Please see workbook v10.3 attached in the Forum Thread.

If this does not replicate your scenario,

please adjust the attached workbook and spreadsheet to more closely match yours.