4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2018 8:36 AM by Katie Kile

Tableau Prep Creating Duplicates When I Use The "Group and Replace" Function

Rory Wallis

Hi all,

So I'm using Tableau prep to try to clean up a bunch of duplicates in my data. In short, we have a load of suppliers in our systems that are the same but are all named slightly differently (hooray for consistent data input!). I've been using "Group and Replace" to join together all relevant suppliers and then rename them accordingly.

What I'm finding is that the "Group and Replace" function is creating duplicates of some of my rows. I've been experimenting with this for hours and can't pinpoint why it's happening. I have been using the function with other fields in the same flow without issue but when I try to sort out the supplier names this problem is popping up. I had a look through the forums/google and there seemed to be very little on this issue. All I found was someone suggesting that the problem was related to changing data from all caps to lowercase but I'm getting this problem even when the case is not being changed.

Not a clue what to do about this so any help is appreciated!

Rory