1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 15, 2018 11:23 AM by Jim Dehner

View different sets over time?

Benjamin Cole

Hi Ya'll,

two part question - using the sample superstore data.

1) I'd like to define multiple segments of the data and show these segments over time in the same view.  Each segment is filtered by a varying number of different dimensions.

How should I best do this?

My strategy was to create two separate views and off those views create two separate sets.  I then combined these sets in a calculated field to view them side by side over time.

My workbook is attached, so you can see what I'm talking about.

2) If I wanted to create a dashboard to enable a user to both define their own sets and view them together over time, how would I go about doing that? parameters?

Thanks so much!

Ben

• 1. Re: View different sets over time?
          Jim Dehner

Did you ever get a response on this?

I looked at it today and I am a little confused about the goal

You created 2 sets and those sets are independent of one another - so you can place them on the same viz alright but you don't see any interaction between the sets - was that your goal?  if so you are there

as far as using parameters to allow users to define (create sets)  sets - not a good idea - parameters by there nature are single valued and the user selects from a predefined list of options meaning you would need to have a parameter for each dimension and then only  a single value would be chosen - also the parameter value will remain constant until changed by the user  and finally the parameter value is global - the same throughout the workbook

Parameters don't do anything in themselves they need to be backed up by a calculation or a filter so the logic for that would also be a consideration

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.