5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2018 12:28 PM by Mavis Liu

show dashboard to latest year, month- Filter should be checked/drop-down selected to latest year and month value for individual users

karthik Valluri

I have been searching for an answer for many months but alas this is a very basic feature that needs to be in any dashboard. There are many work around's for this but this feature is still absent in the filters.

Some work-around's:-

Filtering to the Most Recent Date | Tableau Software This links provides a work-around which is just not acceptable. The dashboard does give latest month's/years data however i want my filters to be "checked" with latest month/year/day. Just be creating a True/False field as at the filter shelf is not enough the filter should be dynamic enough to understand what the latest month/year or day is.  - this a very basic feature available in SSRS,Crystal or Qlik. Another work-around is to use parameters in place of filters to hard-code "latest Month" or "latest year" however customers want to see the value not the hard-coded text.

I'm using Tableau latest version which provide a feature called "Latest date preset" Filter Data from Your Views   this option is great but limited to DS filter at workbook. When can this be expected at quick filters?-- it does provide an option at filter level but just doesn't work.

many clients who view their dashboards are not happy about this. I am forced to have 2 quick filters ( one for year and one for month) using "show relevant values checked". The issue with this approach is if User A logs into the dashboard he sees data for eg:- say April 2018

and if User B logs in he sees the quick filters for his dashboard checked for "April 2018" although he has data for May 2018 forcing him to change filter selection( there is no way filters change dynamically based on latest month/year). Is there anyway we can have filters dynamically change based on underlying data and user login? They need to have either checkbox checked or drop-down value selected.

What is the best way forward?, how do i tell my client/customer to overcome this limitation?

PS:- I have set-up user filters in my dashboard, every login/user sees his own dashboard, using a LIVE connection to SQL server

Thank you,

Karthik

• 1. Re: show dashboard to latest year, month- Filter should be checked/drop-down selected to latest year and month value for individual users
          Mavis Liu

Hi Karthik,

You have two options, the first one is as you had said before with using the filter option to the latest date:

2018-07-30_16h18_54.png

You can right click and show this filter and that means that when the data is updated, automatically the latest date is checked on every time the user opens the workbook. If a new date has been added to the data source, this will be checked on. I have tested this and use this with my clients and it works, if it doesn't work for you then it might be worth providing us with a sample workbook to see what is causing the issue.

The above is the best option.

The second option is to create a sheet which you can use as a button to select the latest date:

2018-07-30_16h14_50.gif

Please see the attached workbook for the second option.

However, the first option does work and the date filter updates automatically whenever the workbook is opened. If it doesn't work for you, we should investigate what is happening and how you've created your workbook.

Thanks,

Mavis

• 2. Re: show dashboard to latest year, month- Filter should be checked/drop-down selected to latest year and month value for individual users
            karthik Valluri

Thanks for the explanation . I agree when the workbook is opened or a refresh happens latest date values get added to the filters

however the filter value selection( drop-down selection or radio button check) remains from previous selection). Please see link to get to my

t.public file Tableau Public  . If i use a Data Source filter ( for year and for month) and when i place the filters in filter shelf and use the "use all option" only then the latest value is checked ( but that defeats the purpose in the sense that historical selection of dates is now eliminated). The other work-around using "actions" is not very intuitive way of doing it.. and involves educating the end users  ( who are technical)

If you see above screenshot 2020 was added the moment i opened the workbook or refreshed the DS however the selection remains the same.( which is the 2019).

Regards,

Karthik

• 3. Re: show dashboard to latest year, month- Filter should be checked/drop-down selected to latest year and month value for individual users
              Mavis Liu

Hi Karthik,

When you say data source filters, do you mean adding them into the filters shelf? Because data source filters are actually found here:

2018-07-31_07h47_26.png

When you add in new data, not only does the filter update with the new values, but the latest dates will also be checked on.

From your Tableau Public, I can see that 2020 is now checked on?

2018-07-31_07h53_12.png

After you refreshed your data source, did you delete your cache on the browser? You may want to do this to see the results.

Thanks,

Mavis

• 4. Re: show dashboard to latest year, month- Filter should be checked/drop-down selected to latest year and month value for individual users
                karthik Valluri

Yes thanks, didn't notice that with cache. That was in T.public, but let me explain the actual scenario:- I have a LIVE connection( to sql server) dashboard with   5 sheets with 2 filters(one for year and month). This is then published to tableau server the idea is whoever logins to the dashboard sees his individual data, to handle this my sql-server table has a column called "Windows_user" which has nearly 100 distinct users.So i created a calculated field(login check)-Boolean ( username()=Windows_user) and pushed it to filter shelf with true value. This is done for all sheets on dashboard to get his/her view. Then to impersonate each login behavior i created a user filter and deleted the set the set that comes with it ( just to get the impersonate drop down icon at bottom right- all tableau users from t.server). This is where i am getting confused  when i select "a" from drop down i get a's data and when i select 'b' i get b's data however the filter(month) values are not defaulting to latest date( latest month doesn't change a- has data till Feb and b has data  till july) but shows Feb default selection when b logs in meaning i select b from drop down impersonation selector- all of this is happening at Tableau desktop. Is this something after publishing the workbook and after B logins( to tableau server) he is able to validate it at the server level? and then he tells me that  month filter is defaulted to latest month ? can i not check this behavior  at the desktop level? . Also i added the above calculated field to context filter just to ensure this is the first level of filtering.

Please see below screenshots:- I cannot attach the exact workbook as data is private.

PS:-

1. I published the entire workbook to the server using  LIVE connection

2. Both Month and Year filters have "Lastest date preset " option checked.

Basically i want to understand how i can mimic user B's login behavior wrt filters. Though the data is filtering the way it should

i am not sure if filters change dynamically . My last option is call up individual user and ask them what these default filter values point to..or else is there a better way to do it? Note:- the reason i didn't use user-filter option( set creation) is that there are about 100 users and the only field i can create user filter is on dimension "Windows_login" . Since this is the only field it becomes cumbersome to check 100 times to map user names within user filters selection dialog.  Please advice.

• 5. Re: show dashboard to latest year, month- Filter should be checked/drop-down selected to latest year and month value for individual users
                  Mavis Liu

Hi Karthik,

Hmm unfortunately it's quite hard to review the issue without the workbook or access to the server from our side.

Have you added the other filters to context?

Next maybe you can filter the selection to just relevant values? -

2018-07-31_20h28_16.png

Thanks,

Mavis