5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2018 1:35 PM by Joe Oppelt

Multiplying Across a Row

Fabiola Agramonte Bravo

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to multiply all of the values in one row.

I have this table and I would like another column to be added at the end that is the product of all the numbers in each row.

How can I do that?

Thank you,

Fabiola

• 1. Re: Multiplying Across a Row
          Joe Oppelt

You need to break apart those metrics into their own measures, and then handle them as you need.

In the attached, I did it for two of them.  See Sheet 2.

• 2. Re: Multiplying Across a Row
            Fabiola Agramonte Bravo

Hi Joe,

Thanks, that really helped. I've sorted out by quarter and now the calculated field instead of it just being numerators, it's numerator/denominator. This is how I get the %.

My trouble now is if you see the NA sheet you'll see a row that says total and that is the sum of numerators divided by sums of denominators. How do I get this done in the sheet you created? If I try to add Grand Total it will only sum the percentages an I need it to be (sum of numerators) / (sum of denominators).

Thanks you for your help,

Fabiola

• 3. Re: Multiplying Across a Row
              Joe Oppelt

See attached.

You need to do the same thing with denominators that I did with numerators.

And then you need to do SUM(whatever numerator)/SUM(whatever denominator)

For the record, you could nest LODs into one calc if you don't want to have intermediate calcs.

{ FIXED ... } / { FIXED ... }

I actually like to have the intermediate calcs just for ease of debugging and for someone else to pick up my workbook a year from now and make changes.  But your sample data has only 4 metrics.  If your actual data has 40 metrics, you'll still need to have a final calc for each one, but what I did here would require 80 more intermediate calcs, and that can get very cumbersome.

• 4. Re: Multiplying Across a Row
                Fabiola Agramonte Bravo

I understand what you did but I need the first calculation you initially sent me to still be in the column and the total (the sum of numerators / sum of denominators) to be a row below.

So it looks something like this in a way :

Sorry for my awful drawing, I just wanted to show you what it should look like ( with numbers of course).

I tried to duplicate the Measure Names so I could do the same thing for rows as you did for columns, but I can't do that. I can only place measure names in both rows and columns if I have the same filters for both and that's not what I need.

Do you think there's a way to do this?

Thank you,

Fabiola

• 5. Re: Multiplying Across a Row
                  Joe Oppelt

That's more of an excel-like treatment.  Tableau will treat all measures (which all of these calcs are) the same.

So what you'll need to do is create two separate sheets -- one for the upper portion of the viz, and one for the totals.  Format them the same and position them one above the other on a dashboard so that it looks like one sheet to the user.