3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2018 3:15 PM by Ken Flerlage

Fiscal Calendar Issue

Silvio Martinez

Quick and probably a solution solution to my problem.  The company's fiscal year starts in April and end in March which means that we are currently in FY18 Fiscal Year (Q2'18).  I have already adjusted Fiscal Year Start (Default Properties > Fiscal Year Start) to reflect April but I am seeing the current year as FY 2019 when it should be FY 2018.  I am sure that there is any easy solution to this but I can't seem to find it. 

I will also need to doing calculations for growth Current Periods to Prior Year's Period and also variance to plans.

Attached is sample.  Any helps would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Fiscal Calendar Issue
          Ken Flerlage

Fiscal years are typically numbered based on the calendar year in which the FY ends. Thus a fiscal year that ends March, 2019 would be FY19. That is why Tableau is doing it this way. So you may need to create a calculated field to get your actual fiscal year. Unfortunately, this is not a simple as subtracting 1 because calculated fields showing YEAR([Date]) will actually calculate based on the actual date value, rather than the fiscal year (all very confusing). So, I'd suggest that you create a calculated field like the following:

FY

DATEPART('year', DATEADD('month',-3,[Date]))

This should give you the Fiscal Year you're looking for.

See attached workbook.

• 2. Re: Fiscal Calendar Issue
            Silvio Martinez

Thanks Ken.  Greatly appreciate the insight.  Just wandering how this would work with variance and growth calculations?  Would there be a need to do a similar calculation for Quarter and Months?

• 3. Re: Fiscal Calendar Issue
              Ken Flerlage

Yeah, I think you'd probably need to do separate calculations for Quarter and Month for you to be able to make this work properly. Try these:

Fiscal Month

IF MONTH([Date])-3 <=0 THEN

9+MONTH([Date])

ELSE

MONTH([Date])-3

END

Fiscal Quarter

IF MONTH([Date]) >=4 AND MONTH([Date])<=6 THEN

ELSEIF MONTH([Date]) >=7 AND MONTH([Date])<=9 THEN

ELSEIF MONTH([Date]) >=10 AND MONTH([Date])<=12 THEN

ELSE

END