2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2018 12:43 PM by jon rios

Format numbers driven by Parameter

jon rios

hello, i have  a parameter with 8 drop down options, i have a calculated field that references each parameter and an individual calculation, some are whole numbers some are percentages...

i cant find how to change the formatting of the numbers...  if i go to each individual calculations it doesnt take the new formatting.... i cant format the parameters calculated field since i have a mix of whole and %...  what am i missing? 

• 1. Re: Format numbers driven by Parameter
          Bryce Larsen

I believe the only way to dynamically do this is make a Label field. You'd need to then convert each to a string such as:

CASE [Parameter]

WHEN [Integer Metric]            THEN STR(INT([Metric Value]))

WHEN [Percentage Metric]     THEN STR(ROUND([Metric Value]*100,2)) + "%"

END

then drag this onto the label shelf. I've attached a twbx to demonstrate:

Best,

Bryce

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Format numbers driven by Parameter
            jon rios

thanks Bryce, worst case i can try your trick... BUT, i developed the calculations in another WB and formatted each calculation individually and in that WB it works fine (charts show values formatted exactly how i decided)...

i copied the formulas to a different wb, everything works (change parameter, correct calculated fields populates) EXCEPT the number formats. i can check each individual format and it contains the same as i originally choose, BUT doesnt reflect in this new wb....

i feel some other area is guiding the chart formats.... any thoughts.  again ill use your method if i cant figure this out...