8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2018 2:23 PM by Sarah Battersby

Geo Heat Map

Harinath Reddy

Hi All,

Please let me know the graph in the below link can be  done in tableau or not,if its yes how the data need to be present.

https://breezometer.com/air-quality-map/

Thanks

Hari

• 1. Re: Geo Heat Map
          Tim Dines

This link takes me to a blank screen.  Maybe it is blocked by our firewall.  Can you attach a picture?

• 2. Re: Geo Heat Map
            Jim Dehner

Good morning

can Tableau create a filled map based on a measure - Yes

you would need the measure (in this case air pollution values) related to a geo spatial file  -  Create Tableau Maps from Spatial Files

the link can walk you through the process

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Geo Heat Map
              Ken Flerlage

If you're looking for a geographic heat map/density map, then that functionality does not exist in Tableau yet, but they did announce last year that this is functionality that should be coming soon.

• 4. Re: Geo Heat Map
                naresh.suglani.0

I also get blank screen from the link above.

I guess it depends on how you would like your map to display the air quality values - either as points on a background map of your area of interest or as a heat map based on smaller regions within a country for example.

Do you have a sample dataset to work with?

The map below is an example heat map I created based on deaths for each local authority in the UK - red showing the highest numbers based on the selected colour range. You would need the appropriate TDE file containing your map regions depending on how you would like the air quality values to show on your map. I was able to get hold of this file quite easily and I'm sure you can create the same below based on a spatial "shapefile", depending of course on what version of Tableau you have installed.

Happy to knock something up for you once you have the data and let me know what country/region the data is for.

UK heat map example.jpg

• 5. Re: Geo Heat Map
                  Harinath Reddy

Hi All,

Attached is the sample image

• 6. Re: Geo Heat Map
                    naresh.suglani.0

Hi Hari, that map looks like it was created with a more advanced mapping product such as ArcGIS. If the regions in that map can be obtained in a suitable format to work with Tableau you can create something similar based on the example I provided above.

You'd need a spaitial file for the South of India that also includes each region so you can assign the air quality values to each one. For that you'll need to find out where the data has come from for that map and download it.

Can you get the data for that map and download into Excel? We can than see how to put together a suitable map for you.

• 7. Re: Geo Heat Map
                      naresh.suglani.0

Hi Hari,

Here is a District map I have found online for India. Is the data you have seen linked to districts? If so you could link the air quality values per district and then create a resulting heat map similar to the UK example I showed above.

India District Map.jpg

• 8. Re: Geo Heat Map
                        Sarah Battersby

Hi Harinath - That image looks like a heat map.  That functionality will be available in the 2018.3 Beta 2 release (which should be available soon).  If you want to get involved with the Beta program check here: https://prerelease.tableau.com/welcome/

Additionally, more information on upcoming functionality can be found here: Coming Soon: New features in Tableau

-Sarah

Tableau Research