4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2018 2:17 AM by Nipun Garg

Edit Connection button disabled in tableau server

Nipun Garg

Hi friend,

Need some help.

I need to change a datasource in tableau server.

But when i check for edit connection, it appears disable for me.

I am the project owner and also the datasource owner having rights of publisher.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Edit Connection button disabled in tableau server
          Sankarmagesh Rajan

Hi Nipun,

When you publish a data source, you can select from these roles:

• Data Source Connector: Allows the user or group to connect to the data source on the server.
          • Data Source Editor: Allows the user or group to connect to the data source on the server and to publish, edit, download, delete, set permissions, and schedule refreshes for the data source.

Thanks

sankar

• 2. Re: Edit Connection button disabled in tableau server
            Nipun Garg

Hi Rajan,

Still the option is disabled.

I have selected for Data Source Editor

• 3. Re: Edit Connection button disabled in tableau server
              Sebastian Sofariu

Hi Nipun,

I can see two possible reasons for Edit button being disabled.

1. Typically the Edit Connection option is grayed out on Tableau Server for flat file data sources and custom Web Data Connector sources published to Tableau Server.  This behavior is by design. Connections to flat files (including Excel and .csv) cannot be edited on Tableau Server. Only database servers (MS SQL, Oracle, Amazon Redshift, etc) are able to edit the connection to the data source. Custom WDCs don’t have the normal set of fields that dialog would edit: Server Name, Username, etc etc.

The connection for flat file data sources can be changed by downloading the data source and republishing the data source to Tableau Server

Connection edit for WDC is possible for standard WDC only, such as Google, Salesforce as explained in Edit Connections article below.

Edit Connections

2.  The second reason may be because the data source does not have any connection information (like a .TDS file) that has been published to the Tableau Server.

Hope this information help

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Edit Connection button disabled in tableau server
                Nipun Garg

Thanks Sebastian.

I am using .tde as a Tableau extract.

Does their is anyway to change .tde datasource from the Tableau Server.

Actually i am using Publish to Tableau tool of Alteryx which create a datasource with similar name in the Tableau server but does not replace or overwrite it.So i need to change the connection.

Is their anyway?

Thanks for the reply.