4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2018 11:05 AM by Praveen Ettam

Tableau Prep 2018.2.1 is out today!

Amanda Boyle

New in Tableau Prep 2018.2.1:

• Enterprise deployments are a cinch with silent activation and deactivation

• Union recommendations make it easier to align mismatched fields

• Work directly with ISO 8601 dates in calcs.

We’ve addressed some of the top customer ideas with new connectors for:

• Snowflake

• Hadoop - Apache Drill, Amazon EMR Hadoop Hive, Cloudera Hadoop, Hortonworks Hadoop Hive, MapR Hadoop Hive, and SparkSQL

And we’ve made a lot of user experience improvements, allowing you to group data, set up more filters, and take actions on fields in the data grid.

Try it out now: https://www.tableau.com/products/prep

Upgrade here: https://www.tableau.com/support/prep-upgrade

Read the blog post: https://www.tableau.com/about/blog/2018/7/announcing-tableau-prep-easy-enterprise-deployments-and-more-data

With this update we are excited to share that the following community ideas have been flipped to 'released':

Thank you to everyone who voted and participated on these threads! Please continue to share ideas, feedback and suggestions.

As always, please post your questions in the forums and share ideas for product improvements with the dev team in the Ideas Forum.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Tableau Prep 2018.2.1 is out today!
          Praveen Ettam

I like how Tableau Prep issues are fixing and the new versions coming.  I see one drawback when I run the Tableau Prep,  when you check in Task Manager there is a Java.exe running and it will eat up to 2GB RAM.  I am not sure this is observed by the development team.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Prep 2018.2.1 is out today!
            Amanda Boyle

Thank you for this feedback! I shared it with the Tableau Prep team and asked if they could respond to this thread directly. I do believe this is a known issue but we appreciate you highlighting it.

• 3. Re: Tableau Prep 2018.2.1 is out today!
              Daniel Lawrence

Is there any timeline as to when Tableau Prep will be able to seamlessly automate on an extract refresh?

Currently, I have to connect to Data Source in desktop because Data Source is not in prep, extract data and save as .hyper, open up Prep, and run the flow on the extract and take the new output extract and put it back into Tableau Desktop to use it.

It would be ideal if we could integrate Prep into the refresh pipeline so when a data extract is refreshed, it can be setup that it runs the Prep flow on the extract within Desktop without extraneous manual processes.

Thanks,

Daniel

• 4. Re: Tableau Prep 2018.2.1 is out today!
                Praveen Ettam

Also I do not believe Prep is still works seamlessly with Hadoop  or big Databases,  It will take forever for me in Microsoft SQL Server to pull the relational DB information which has < 2 Mil records.  May be if Tableau team can create some videos with demo with major database how it works for them.  I am sure there might have different level of testing is done, but is it enough .  I do not think so.   Mat be team is busy with selling the product (just kidding).

As I said it is still in preliminary phase, long way to go.  Salesforce is not an option in Prep now.