1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2018 6:43 AM by Toby Erkson

Tableau Server 2018.1.2 service fails to start after restoring a backup from 10.4.3

Bogdan Amarghioali

Hello,

I'm researching the upgrade of Tableau Server from version 10.4.3 to version 2018.1.2

I've installed a fresh instance of Tableau Server 2018.1.2.

I made all the settings that I need and I didn't encounter any issue - tableau service starts successfully, no problem when browsing etc

But, when I stop the service, then I restore the most recent backup from 10.4.3 to 2018.1.2 when I start tableau service I get the following message:

===== Starting service...

Tableau Server not available; check that it is running.

===== Unable to determine if all components of the service started properly. See "tabadmin.log" for more information.

Details:

• Tableau Server is installed on a different partition than the OS
      • The service is running under a service account
      • tabadmin.log has the same content as the output from the CMD terminal, is this referring to tabadmin.log file or to search through all log files ? (Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\logs)
      • The procedure from here seems to work sometimes : https://community.tableau.com/thread/164216 , sometimes it works only after I reboot the machine
        • I know that this seems to be a problem related to a service account but the account has full control permission and the same account was used for version 10.4.3 in the exactly same environment and there were no issues.

If there were no issues on Tableau 10.4.3 why they appear now on 2018.1.2 using the same settings?

Mentions:

• There should be more relevant messages on the output or on the logs, displaying the message "Unable to determine if all the component of the service started properly" then listing all the components with the running state is confusing.
      • Also is not productive to spend so much time just to start a service. It took 40 minutes to stop the service, open the configuration console to put the password again, apply the configuration, then "tabamin start" then "tabadmin restart"
      • Even if something fails, starting the service should be a more efficient sequence, especially on a machine with more than enough resources.

I appreciate any other recommendation on how to deal with this in the future.

P.S. : I saw that version 2018.1.3 was just released this week, I will test it to see if the same thing happens.

1 2 Previous Next