2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2018 10:19 AM by Jim Dehner

edit data in tableau

Krishna Duraisamy

Hello all,

I am new to Tableau and trying to develop a Dashboard showing KPI's to monitor the project.

I need to know if I can do the following:

1.edit existing rows or columns values in the dataset within Tableau desktop

2.edit  display values in dashboard before and after publishing dahsboard either in Tableau server or tableau online

3. create new records in the dataset inside Tableau

4.extracting data(Columns) with calculated (sum/running sum of field X) from tableau

->here I have a problem saying, It cannot display the agg. values and all the values are showing as undefined

Any support on this, would be of great help

Thanks,

Krishna

• 1. Re: edit data in tableau
          Hari Ankem

Mr responses are given in bold below.

1.edit existing rows or columns values in the dataset within Tableau desktop - No

2.edit  display values in dashboard before and after publishing dahsboard either in Tableau server or tableau online - No

3. create new records in the dataset inside Tableau - No

4.extracting data(Columns) with calculated (sum/running sum of field X) from tableau

->here I have a problem saying, It cannot display the agg. values and all the values are showing as undefined - Please attach your packaged workbook so that someone can see and suggest an appropriate solution.

• 2. Re: edit data in tableau
            Jim Dehner

Good morning

Tableau is a visualization tool - not designed to "edit" data - if you have data that needs to be changed either do it before you import it into Tableau or consider using Tableau Prep - Prep has some editing capability in addition being able to restructure, aggregate, combine, and pivot data

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.