2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2018 12:43 PM by Matt Coles

Understanding Tableau Alerts

Jonathan Hodge

Howdy all,

Currently I have to check a few dashboards every day, and if they have not refreshed by 9 am I send out an email to various users that there is a delay in the backend ELT jobs.

Rather than do this manually I would love if I could setup an alert to tell me this or not.

1.) Is this possible?

2.) Any details? I have been googling alerts and not seeing much for the given requirement?

Thanks so much for any help!

• 1. Re: Understanding Tableau Alerts
          lei.chen.0

Hello Jonathan,

Jonathan Hodge wrote:

Currently I have to check a few dashboards every day, and if they have not refreshed by 9 am I send out an email to various users that there is a delay in the backend ELT jobs.

I assume that your requirement is to send an email alert if the refresh hasn't finished by 9 AM.

If it is possible to generate a condition from your data,

Send Data-Driven Alerts from Tableau Online or Tableau Server is the solution.

Regards

Lei

• 2. Re: Understanding Tableau Alerts
            Matt Coles

If you're using Tableau Server, here is a solution using Conditional Subscriptions:

1. Go download TS Content from Shareable Data Sources for Tableau Server. Open it and connect it to your Tableau Server postgreSQL repository database.

2. Filter [Name] to the workbook containing said dashboards, and [Type] = Workbook. Drag [Name] out to Rows.

3. Create a calc "Time since refresh (hours)": DATEDIFF('hour',[Extracts Refreshed At], now()) . Drag it to Columns.

4. Make sure it looks correct, then filter it to > 22 or so (nearly one day). Everything should drop off the list, leaving the viz blank (assuming you have no current data issues).

5. Subscribe to the view at 9am, and check the box for "Don't send if view is empty". You can subscribe yourself and/or all those who need to know about the issue.