6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2018 10:33 AM by Praveen Ettam

Tableau Prep tool is not loading!

sudheer.kumar.5

Hello,

Tableau Prep is not working and the screen looks like the below:

Tableau Prep Version 2018.1.2

Has anyone dealt with this issue before? Please suggest.

S

• 1. Re: Tableau Prep tool is not loading!
          Jim Dehner

Good morning

I have had experience with Prep loading slow - try closing it and reloading -

Jim

• 2. Re: Tableau Prep tool is not loading!
            Kate Brown

I've had that happen too and do the same as Jim - close out and try again and it normally works.

I think my issue is that the repository is in my documents which is an issue for me because I lose sync with my documents.

Until we can change the default location I won't know if that is what causes the problem.

• 3. Re: Tableau Prep tool is not loading!
              Adam Lopuch

Similar to Kate above, I had issues opening Prep because of strange interactions with the default repository installation folder -- I did not see any option during setup to change repository location.

Here are notes on my situation... it may not be exactly the same as yours:

* In my case, Prep was looking for the repository in C:\Users\MY-USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Tableau Prep\My Tableau Prep Repository

* My work environment resets the home directory to a network share (but only when logged in to corporate network or VPN; not when I am not connected), which caused issues to with 'finding' the repository folder.

* My workaround was to 'manually' create empty folders \Tableau Prep\  and \My Tableau Prep Repository\ in the C:\Users\MY-USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\ folder... since the repository was empty it clears the recent settings when I load from here, but it's a small price to pay

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Tableau Prep tool is not loading!
                Kate Brown

thanks for that work around Adam!

there is also an idea to allow you to change the location if you want to up vote it - https://community.tableau.com/ideas/8719

• 5. Re: Tableau Prep tool is not loading!
                  Dane Hobbs

Same issue.  You can launch Tableau Prep from the command line and get the raw output in the command window  -or-  view the log.txt file located in your \My Tableau Prep Repository\Logs\ folder and I see, in my case, the application is stuck in loop checking the health of the desktop process.  Sample output repeats every minute:

":"2018-07-12T09:25:15.490","pid":10120,"tid":"2380","sev":"info","req":"-","sess":"-","site":"-","user":"-","k":"msg","v":"Check the health of desktop process by sending GET request to http://127.0.0.1:54577/health"}

{"ts":"2018-07-12T09:25:35.494","pid":10120,"tid":"2380","sev":"info","req":"-","sess":"-","site":"-","user":"-","k":"msg","v":"Check the health of desktop process by sending GET request to http://127.0.0.1:54577/health"}

{"ts":"2018-07-12T09:25:55.499","pid":10120,"tid":"2380","sev":"info","req":"-","sess":"-","site":"-","user":"-","k":"msg","v":"Check the health of desktop process by sending GET request to http://127.0.0.1:54577/health"}

{"ts":"2018-07-12T09:26:11.444","pid":10120,"tid":"2468","sev":"info","req":"-","sess":"-","site":"-","user":"-","k":"msg","v":"Executing cache eviction task"}

{"ts":"2018-07-12T09:26:11.445","pid":10120,"tid":"2468","sev":"info","req":"-","sess":"-","site":"-","user":"-","k":"msg","v":"current cache size 0 is less than the limit 16000000000, task ends"}

{"ts":"2018-07-12T09:26:11.445","pid":10120,"tid":"2468","sev":"info","req":"-","sess":"-","site":"-","user":"-","k":"msg","v":"cache.hit=0 cache.miss=0 cache.eviction=0 cache.recreated=0"}

{"ts":"2018-07-12T09:26:12.578","pid":10120,"tid":"286c","sev":"info","req":"-","sess":"-","site":"-","user":"-","k":"msg","v":"StaleChecker running. It removed 0 statuses."}

It looks to me like it is checking for the existence of Tableau Desktop running. But it is not finding it, perhaps because this port 54577 is not enabled by my IT department?

• 6. Re: Tableau Prep tool is not loading!
                    Praveen Ettam

We are still in early release version for Tableau Prep,  I had the issue with slow performance.   I have to delete all versions and remove repository and then install new version then it fixed.