2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2018 11:11 AM by Vamsi Challa

What a Tableau developer does ?

Sanjay  Sudhakar

Hello Folks,

I am new to the IT industry and to Tableau forum. While I was exploring options to find a career for myself in IT, I figured out that I enjoy statistics and data visualization and eventually most people suggested me to learn Tableau. So I availed the student account since I am a student of IT project management.

Although my coursework involves mostly on the business and management side, I want myself to dwell into the technical side. So I started taking additional courses like SQL and Data Warehousing where I have started on the basics of SQL and Data warehousing.

I wanted to take the developer route. Hence, I have also started learning HTML5, CSS, JavaScript. My questions are

1. Am I on the right track to become a BI developer?

2. If someone throws a light on what a Tableau developer / BI developer does as part of his job from a high level, it would be of a great help to get insights about the job.

3. What are the areas that I should concentrate and learn in Tableau from Developer perspective apart from playing around with the sheets, workbooks, and Dashboards in Tableau interface?

Thanks,

Sanjay

• 1. Re: What a Tableau developer does ?
          patrick.byrne.0

Hello Sanjay,

A good place to start would be to review the Job Listings (Job Listings ) group in the Tableau Community. This will give perspective of what people are looking for in their Tableau Developeers.

I am sure there are more people in this amazing community with some better experience with landing a BI job, but this is where I would start.

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick

• 2. Re: What a Tableau developer does ?
            Vamsi Challa

Hi Sanjay,

Its a Good start. Data Analytics plays very important role in every business and market.

1. Am I on the right track to become a BI developer?

Yes

2. If someone throws a light on what a Tableau developer / BI developer does as part of his job from a high level, it would be of a great help to get insights about the job.

User always looks for a "WOW" Dashboard. Don't forget about the 3 Sec rule.

Follow - "Ryan Sleeper" - Triple Crown Framework. I always refer his work and material.

1. Data

2. Design

3. Psychology.

3. What are the areas that I should concentrate and learn in Tableau from Developer perspective apart from playing around with the sheets, workbooks, and Dashboards in Tableau interface?

1. Tableau Architecture,

2. Data Preparation,

3. Administration,

4. Server

5. Online 

6. DWH & SQL Skills

7. More hands on