5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2018 4:35 AM by Zhouyi Zhang

Break in Bar Graph Axis

Joseph Ward

Dear Tableau Community

I am new to tableau and am struggling with what I think must be a very simple problem! I have got essentially 8 bar graphs plotted on the same axis (see attached). I would like to create a gap between the axis lines on the graph for each subgroup in my graph. At present the y axis line continues from 0 - 10 - 20 - 30 - 0 - 10 - 20 - 30. I would like it to be 0 - 10 - 20 - 30 - break - 0 - 10 - 20 - 30 break.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Best Wishes

Joe

• 1. Re: Break in Bar Graph Axis
          Zhouyi Zhang

Hi, Joseph

I will suggest in this case, use dashboard instead, each of your bar graph should be a worksheet with filter

And add all your worksheets to a dashboard as shown below

Hope this workaround helps

ZZ

• 2. Re: Break in Bar Graph Axis
            Donna Coles

Hi Joseph

An alternative workaround which will retain the chanrts on a single view, is to use a few formatting tricks :

Here's a sample view, similar to what you have

1) Edit your Mortality Rate axis (y-axis) to start at a negative number.  In the example above, I'm changing my Sales axis to start at -20,000.  This adds a gap between each section

2) Format to remove row & column dividers

3) Format to make the row 0 line look prominent (so it looks like your x-axis is drawn)

The only thing that you lose is the vertical y-axis being displayed (if you try to draw this in, you retain the continuous vertical line you're trying to avoid).  Instead there are faint row gridlines displayed which should help readbility.  This can be made more prominent as I've done below (note I also changed the tick marks to display every 25,000 to make this change more obvious to demonstrate).

Have a try and see how that looks.

Regards

Donna

• 3. Re: Break in Bar Graph Axis
              Donna Coles

Joseph Ward - you've had a couple of replies here.  Please review and respond, so the thread can be closed down.

Regards

Donna

• 4. Re: Break in Bar Graph Axis
                Joseph Ward

Hello all

Thank you for your replies - really helpful. It worked best to use the dashboard

Thanks again

Joe

• 5. Re: Break in Bar Graph Axis
                  Zhouyi Zhang

Hi, Joseph

You are welcome.

Can you mark the closest answer as correct to close the thread?

ZZ