6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2018 11:26 AM by Trevor Hodges

2018.1.2 Sheet swapping inside containers

Trevor Hodges

Since 10.3/10.4 'fixed' tooltips on overlapping containers for sheet swapping I have moved to using one horizontal container with 5-10 sheets inside that swap based on a parameter.

Everything in 10.5 worked perfect this way including having a vertical container inside the original horizontal one. (having a horizontal inside another one would never let it collapse down)

After upgrading to 2018.1.2, vertical containers inside the original horizontal will no longer collapse. It will stay at 30px even if everything inside the container is hidden. (Same problem 10.5 had with horizontal inside another)

Recap:

Horizontal Container

Sheet1

Sheet2

Sheet3

Vertical Container     <---Used to work in 10.5, now forced to have 30px even when sheets are hidden

Sheet4

Sheet5

Sheet6

Vertical Container     <---Used to work in 10.5, now forced to have 30px even when sheets are hidden

Sheet7

Sheet8

Now that nested containers will not shrink down to 1px is there any other way to swap between displaying single and multiple sheets?

Thanks

Edit: If anyone else is looking to find an answer for this I marked it complete but after quite a bit of testing it seems that there is no true work around to get back the same 'feature/bug' from 10.5 that let vertical containers inside a horizontal collapse down without shifting the other sheets.

Now I either use horizontal with all sheets fit to width or use vertical with all sheets fit to height/entire view - this is the only way I can find to do seamless sheet switching (no shifting)

Easy to test by selecting each sheet in the dash, all the hidden sheets should have the same x and y position so they all take up the same 1px column or row depending on vert/horizontal containers.

• 1. Re: 2018.1.2 Sheet swapping inside containers
          Ken Flerlage

Did you check the inner and outer padding of each of your containers? Any chance you could upload a sample workbook?

• 2. Re: 2018.1.2 Sheet swapping inside containers
            Trevor Hodges

Attached an example, in 10.5 the vertical container (shaded yellow) would collapse down to 1px like the other sheets but now it seems stuck at 30px even when there is nothing inside it.

• 3. Re: 2018.1.2 Sheet swapping inside containers
              Peter Fakan

Hi Trevor,

I don't fully understand the issue but it does look like the container is reserving a minimum space for itself inside the dashboard canvas. The reason I don't fully understand the issue is because I've never had a requirement to put an empty layout container onto a viz (or a container that needed to be smaller than 30 pixels).

HTH

Peter

• 4. Re: 2018.1.2 Sheet swapping inside containers
                Trevor Hodges

Thanks for looking at it,

The issue is that on views 1,2,3 I've permanently lost a full height 30px wide column on my dashboards, I highlighted it in yellow. The container is not empty, it has view #4 inside it which is 2 sheets in a vertical container.

All other sheets collapse down to 1px while the vertical one stays at 30 even though there is nothing visible inside while on view 1 2 or 3.

When on view 4 you can see it takes the will width of the main container and does not have any wasted space.

This worked in 10.5, after the 2018 update every dashboard I have with a vertical container sheet switcher has a messed up layout.

• 5. Re: 2018.1.2 Sheet swapping inside containers
                  Peter Fakan

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the further explanation. I took a fresh look at the viz and rearranged it so that the blank bar does not show by nesting sheets 1-3 inside the same layout container as 4.1 and 4.2.

HTH 18.1 attached

Peter

• 6. Re: 2018.1.2 Sheet swapping inside containers
                    Trevor Hodges

Thanks for taking another look, that fixed my original problem although it introduces another.

With vertical containers the sheets do not collapse onto themselves in the same position so every 1px vertical sheet adds on top of each other. The more sheets that are added in a vertical the more things will unintentionally move around. It's even noticeable in the 4 sheet example in your reply.

I believe I narrowed the problem down to the fit height/width options. Horizontal containers will only take up a single 1px column even with 100 of sheets in it when all the sheets are set to fit width - works with long lists

In vertical containers with fit width they will not stack on top of each other so each view adds a 1px shift. This adds up quickly with many sheets on a dashboard.  If the vertical container is set to fit height they will stack on top of each other just like the horizontal ones, but that is not practical if you are displaying list data or anything that will not fit on one page.