3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2018 2:14 AM by Mansoor Khan

Charting absolute values on a bubble chart

Mansoor Khan

I am a brand new user so this may be a stupid question, but here goes: I have a series of positive and negative numbers that I want to plot as bubbles/circles with the size representing the numerical value. By default, they are plotted such that the negative numbers have the smallest diameter. However, I want the absolute value of the number to determine the size so that 0.1 would have the smallest circle and +/- 100 would have the largest circles and these 2 would be the same size. There doesn't seem to be a simple way to do that.

Also, how do I color code them so, say, all the -ve numbers are green and the +ve numbers are red?

As an FYI I haven't created any variables so don't know how too create them or use them but I learn very quickly if I am told where to go and look.

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Charting absolute values on a bubble chart
          garth.conrad

Let's assume the value you are plotting is in a field [Value].

(1) Drag the [Value] field to the SIZE mark. Right click on the sum([Value]) shown in the marks area. Select edit in shelf. Change the formula to: Sum(ABS([Value])).

(2) Drag the [Value} field to the COLOR mark. Right click in the sum([Value]) shown in the marks area. Select edit in shelf. Change the formula to: Sum([Value]) / Sum(ABS([Value])).

(3) Select the COLORS mark box, select edit colors. Check the stepped colors box. Change to 2 steps. Click on the color box on the left, change to red, OK.  Click on the color box to the right, select green, OK.  Select OK.

G

• 2. Re: Charting absolute values on a bubble chart
            Jeevan Krishna

Hi Mansoor,

Here is a quick intro on creating calculated fields - Create a Simple Calculated Field

Now to solve your issue, you need to create a calculated field with the following formula.

ABS([Field])

which will convert both positives and negative values to absolute values.This will solve your sizing problem.

To solve your coloring issue, you need another calculated field, that says,

If [Field] > 0 then 'Green' else 'Red' end

Use this field in color mark and assign the required colors over the default colors.

Hope this helps.

• 3. Re: Charting absolute values on a bubble chart
              Mansoor Khan

Thank you this is exactly what I needed.

1 of 1 people found this helpful