2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2018 11:42 PM by Michael Wedekindt

How to create dynamic set based on hierarchy level

Michael Wedekindt

Hi community,

I need some help to achieve a easy use case.

In the attached Workbook with the Superstore example (V 2018.1) I set up a simple Top 4 Set on Product Name Level ("Top 4 products by sales"). It works quiet well and shows the top 4 products by sales.

But when I drill through the hierarchy then I see only the same top  4 Products in Level "Manufacture", "Sub-Category" or "Category"

Now I want to have the Top 4 Products some more dynamic and want to know the top 4 Products within the different Levels of the hierarchy.

E.g. The Top 4 Products of Manufacture "Hon". Top 4 of "Fellowes" and so on. When I drill up in  Level "Sub-Category"  the top 4 products with in "Chairs", "Binders" etc.

How can I achieve this?

Thanks in advance

Michael

• 1. Re: How to create dynamic set based on hierarchy level
          Jim Dehner

Good morning

One way is to use rank as a filter set to true - it will give you the top 4 as you drill down the hierarchy

filtered down to chairs shows this

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to create dynamic set based on hierarchy level
            Michael Wedekindt

Hi Jim,

thank you very much. It works as expected.

2018-07-03_08h23_42.png

I adjusted the .twbx an added a Parameter to play with the rank and compared to no filter it works even on different levels.

But one question I have. On your screenshot where you create the filter there is the announcement "Results are computed along Table (across)"

But I was not able to choose this.

I have the German language settings and translated means  "Results are computed along Table (horizontal)"

2018-07-03_08h24_00.png

I could only choose horizontal or vertical. And it works only if i choose area (Vertical) or table(Vertical) how do you get the (across) ? Does this matter?

Thanks

Michael