5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2018 6:07 AM by Toby Erkson

Log file location(s) for extracts?

Toby Erkson

I'm trying to figure out the root cause of this error but am having no success in finding any information help in the log files:

I set the error-level to DEBUG and am using Agent Ransack to search for keywords in all *.log files in my Tableau Server directories but I'm coming up empty   There isn't enough error logging info in the tooltip which doesn't help.

Which log file(s) should I be looking at?  Other suggestions welcomed.

• 1. Re: Log file location(s) for extracts?
          Mark McGhee

Hi Toby,

Extract refreshes are done by the Backgrounder processes.  Each Backgrounder process will have it's own log file.  If you zip up the logs and then extract them out somewhere where they can be searched they'll show up such as "backgrounder-0.log", "backgrounder-1.log", "backgrounder-2.log", etc.  Of course this depends if your system is multi-node and how the backgrounders are spread throughout the tableau cluster.   If it's really just one or two dashboards failing then you could do a seach on "ERROR: canceled" from the error in the tooltip but if it's been a number of extracts failing it might be easier to search on the name of the extract itself.

Another option if you think you'll be doing this a lot would be to use the LogShark tool.  The installation of LogShark comes with the MongoDB already included.  Though you do have to install an instance of a Postgres database but the link to download is included in the installation instructions.  LogShark will parse through a set of zipped logs and build workbooks for different components.  One of the workbooks will cover all Backgrounder activity and the tooltips are set to be really large so would think it could show the issue without needing to go into the log file itself.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Log file location(s) for extracts?
            Toby Erkson

Oh geez, I feel silly now, I was searching on my Primary but all of the Backgrounders are on the Worker!  Thanks Mark for indirectly pointing that out   Redoing my search now...

• 3. Re: Log file location(s) for extracts?
              Toby Erkson

While I'm now able to find and match the error with the workbook I still cannot see why there's a failure.  The error logging is not verbose enough, too cryptic

• 4. Re: Log file location(s) for extracts?
                Mark McGhee

Hi Toby,

For a deeper dive the backgrounder logs could be set in "debug" mode via the tabadmin command (tabadmin backgrounder.log.level debug).  A restart will be required for the change to take effect.   After the logs are captured can set back to "info".

• 5. Re: Log file location(s) for extracts?
                  Toby Erkson

Yup, doing that   I have a batch script to set that up for me:

REM Turn on DEBUG error logging level for Tableau Server.
                  tabadmin stop
                  tabadmin set server.log.level debug
                  tabadmin set vizqlserver.log.level debug
                  tabadmin set vizportal.log.level debug
                  tabadmin set wgserver.log.level debug
                  tabadmin start

To return the server to regular logging:

REM Turn on default (INFO) error logging level for Tableau Server.
                  tabadmin stop
                  tabadmin set server.log.level -d
                  tabadmin set vizqlserver.log.level -d
                  tabadmin set vizportal.log.level -d
                  tabadmin set wgserver.log.level -d
                  tabadmin start

The additional logging info provided nothing helpful that I could see.  The lack of robust error handling/reporting is a gripe of mine for pretty much all software.