1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 27, 2018 9:01 AM by Michael Gillespie

Query about creating "dynamic" scatter plot / bubble chart

Shawn Tan

Hi,

I am trying to create a scatter plot / bubble chart with my data with the flexibility of putting different measures on the axes. I read that one way is to use the parameter function. However, I am unable to produce a bubble chart when I apply parameters (Sheet 2 screenshot). If I select specific measures, I can create the bubble chart (Sheet 1 screenshot). Would anyone be able to advise whether I am using the parameters wrongly? The parameters' calculation is stated below:

CASE [Parameter 1]

WHEN "% of CAPEX to first Oil" THEN AVG([% of CAPEX to first Oil])

WHEN "Total Production" Then AVG([Total Production])

END

CASE [Parameter 2]

WHEN "Time to 1st prod" THEN AVG([Time to 1st prod])

END

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Query about creating "dynamic" scatter plot / bubble chart
          Michael Gillespie

Shawn the major issue is that for a scatter plot, you need two CONTINUOUS (Green) measures and your Parameters are DISCRETE (blue) measures.

The typical pattern for using parameters like this is to use the parameters to allow a user to select a value, but also to create separate calculated fields that have THEIR values set by the parameters.  This gives you a little more control over what you can do in Tableau.

In this case you might do something like this:

New calculated field: ROW VALUE

Formula: [Parameter 1]

New calculated field: COLUMN VALUE

Formula: [Parameter 2]

Put the new calculated fields in the appropriate spots in the viz, and make sure they are GREEN (right-click on the calculated field and select "Convert to continuous").

You'll have to play around (most likely) to get this to work.

1 of 1 people found this helpful