1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 5, 2018 10:09 PM by patrick.byrne.0

Customer Churn - Insights to actionable data

Ryan Rafferty

How to Track Churn rate overtime

I recreated the the dashboard from this thread (great read). The data is great, and I set it up to dynamically show churn rate based on a number of parameters pertinent to the company I work for. Although these insights are great, I want to take it a step further that will lead to profitable actions.

The data shows:

Active customers in the last 12 months (as a reference - grey bars) and

Active customers in the last 6 months (the blue bars)

I want to extract from the most recent month, the customers that are active in the last 12 months but not in the last 6 months (i.e. the customers that have churned).  Due to a number of these caluclations utilizing window_sum, and being based on the month/year, I am having a hard time putting together a cross tab of the customer information (these would be valuable leads/targets for our inside sales team).

Any Thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I've attached the sample workbook from the original thread that I linked at the top.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Customer Churn - Insights to actionable data
          patrick.byrne.0

Hello Ryan,

One method would be to filter the data out that you do not want displayed leaving only the customers that fit the criteria. I am attaching a a samaple workbook. In the workbook I used a calculated field and an IF statement to create logic that will only return customers that both appear in the [Active customer in last 12] months and [Active customer in last 6] months. I then dragged my calculation [!Active Customer] to the filter shelf and set it to 1. Being that 1 is when the arguments are satisfied.

To see the calculation, right click and select 'Edit' on the calculation [Active Customer].

*Note after I created the calcuation I converted it to discrete.

Hope this example helps!

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick