1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 2, 2018 6:59 AM by Alexandre DAVID

How to share the same color coding across different data sources that share a common field?

Alexandre DAVID

Hello,

After browsing the tool and the forums a while, I could not find a solution to this answer.

The situation is as follows:

- I have a dashboard with many datasources connected to it

- In each of these datasources, I have the same field (let's call it "product")

- Some products exist in all datasources but some don't.

Current result:

Tableau seems to use the automatic color coding based on alphabetical sorting.

This creates a mismatch in the color coding depending on the data source each workbook is connected to (and the product it contains).

Ex, if datasource 1 contains products A,B and C while datasource 2 contains products A,C and D

The following thing will occur:

Color of product A in datasource 1 will match product A in datasource 2 (good match)

Color of product B in datasource 1 will match product C in datasource 2 (mismatch)

Color of product C in datasource 1 will match product D in datasource 2 (mismatch)

While I would expect the following

Color of product A in datasource 1 will match product A in datasource 2

Color of product B in datasource 1 will have no match in datasource 2

Color of product C in datasource 1 will match product C in datasource 2

Color of product D in datasource 2 will have no match in datasource 1

I thought about several options to solve this.

- Assign colors manually for each datasource. Problem: I regularly have new products and it will be painful to reassign colors whenever a new one shows up.

- Create dummy records for the missing products in the corresponding database. Problem: this creates irrelevant data and can create further issues later if filters are not taken care of carefully.

Is there an easy way to solve this?

Thanks

Alexandre