1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 22, 2018 5:30 PM by Don Wise

Advanced hexbin mapping

Isabelle Lvn

Hello everyone,

I have been creating a Hexbin map exactly following this tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM3u0RSd35Q&t=894s 

I have data records with lat and long that I would like to agregate in an "hexagon grid".

The problem that I encounter is that, if I increase my density and make the hexagons smaller, I do not have hexagons everywhere anymore - and Tableau "misses" some data points (if I sum the number of records per hexagons, I have less than the actual number of records I should have).

I am wondering if there is a way of still capturing every data point - even though it might only be one per hexagon? It looks like when there are not enough data points, the hexagon does not show up.

I am also wondering how "close to the reality" this technique is in terms of geography, which means can I actually believe that the hexagon is the "real" size of the area it covers?

Thanks a lot for your help!

• 1. Re: Advanced hexbin mapping
          Don Wise

Hi Isabelle,

If sizing is an issue, using a ratio slider, then perhaps try this method instead:  Hex-tile maps help eliminate the Alaska effect

Which also addresses your concern about capturing all data points; and, it also addresses the Alaska effect which is that Alaska is larger in territory than any other in the U.S. and therefore would skew the end result (if using ratios for sizing). 

Personally, I wouldn't use this type of map (either with a ratio or without ratio sizing) to be anything but "representative" of geographic points and measure values. I would definitely place some type of written disclaimer that size is not representative of geography. 

Hope that helps! Thx, Don