7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2018 8:39 PM by mike cheng

cannot signin tableau server after installation

mike cheng

Hi All

i cannot signin tableau server after installation,

is it because of my configuration setting? I have Active Directory section filled while i choose Local Authentication?

image001.png

i try to reset my account name and pw but the tabadmin reset command i not working, is it because the path i install in D:?

image003.jpg

what should i do to fix this, i need some suggestion.

thanks in advance

mike

• 1. Re: cannot signin tableau server after installation
          Mark McGhee

Hi Mike,

From the first screenshot it looks like the login screen is coming up, just curious if you run the "tabadmin status -v" command does it show all services up and running?

Also, is this a fresh install of Tableau Server?   If so since you mentioned that you installed to the D:\drive instead of the default C:\drive there's a good chance you'll want to re-apply permissions as outlined in our OnelineHelp

Before you install...

When you install to a non-default location, you must take the following into consideration:

• You may need to configure Run As User permissions manually. If you do not use the predefined local account, NetworkServices, as the Run As User account, then you will need to set permissions for the account that you will be using. You must set these permissions after you install Tableau Server. See Verify Folder Permissions.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: cannot signin tableau server after installation
            mike cheng

Hi Mark

i think the problem is my run as user setting, i change it to tableau server's default setting then it is fine, but i am not sure how to correctly set the run as user account, should i include a domain in front of the user name?

mike

• 3. Re: cannot signin tableau server after installation
              Toby Erkson

mike cheng wrote:

Hi Mark

...should i include a domain in front of the user name?

mike

1.  Yes, you should.  When trouble-shooting you need to try all variations, even if they sometimes don't seem to make sense.

2.  You need to follow Mark's advice and report back on your results (steps that were unsuccessful).  If you ask for help you should follow the helper's suggestions as many times we are trying to eliminate or double-check the easy stuff.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: cannot signin tableau server after installation
                John Kuo

You first screenshot shows the installation is Local Authentication, not Active Directory. Are you sure this is what you want?

John

• 5. Re: cannot signin tableau server after installation
                  mike cheng

Hi John

yes, i want to set it up using Local authentication, i just dont know what is the correct format for run s user.

if it is local authentication, should i include domain name or computer name in the run as user name?

mike

• 6. Re: cannot signin tableau server after installation
                    Brandon Babbitt

Mike,

I would recommend reviewing this article: Create and Update the Run As User Account which has steps on how to create a dedicated Run As User account.  More information can also be found here: Run As User

Since you are wanting to set up using Local Authentication as opposed to Active Directory, you can use the default NetworkService account if you wish.  But if you don't want to use the default account, you'll need to follow the steps above on creating a dedicated account.  Regardless of the account you use, you'll need to use the DOMAIN\username format.  Hope this helps!

Brandon Babbitt

Senior Technical Lead

Tableau Software

• 7. Re: cannot signin tableau server after installation
                      mike cheng

Hi Brandon

thanks for reply,

for my knowledge, it is the best if the run as user is set to the one account which has the most authority, but not necessary have to have domain in front of user name,

so you saying , neither AD nor local authentication, if i want to set up run as user account, it should have domain name in front of user name?

or i don't need domain in the front when i choose Local, and i need domain in the front when i choose AD?

sorry i am a bit confused, just want to be cleared what format should i use in different circumstances.

Best regards,

mike