3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2018 11:50 PM by Mavis Liu

Getting the last 10 entries of each item

rajat jain

I have a worksheet where many units which are in rows have many alarms on different dates and in columns i have timestamp to track it.

Each unit has a different amount of alarms and that too spread over different years,

I want to get the last 10 alarms of each unit serial number such that it becomes a x by 10 matrix where x is the number of units.

• 1. Re: Getting the last 10 entries of each item
          Mavis Liu

Hi Rajat,

Create your view by bringing in unit, then a timestamp into columns. I have attached a sample workbook using the superstore data.

With my example, I want to see the latest 10 product IDs for each market:

2018-06-14_11h52_51.png

I double click into the blank area in rows and put in last(). Right click on this field and turn it into discrete:

2018-06-14_11h53_45.png

Move it so that it's after your first column (in your case it should be unit):

Right click on last() and select edit table calculation, then tick on order date and product ID, but remove market:

2018-06-14_11h56_55.png

Then control click and drag last() into the filters shelf, (this should make a copy). Then right click on last() in the filters shelf to convert it to continuous:

2018-06-14_11h57_24.png

Then change the change to 0-9 to get the last 10 values.

You should see something like this:

2018-06-14_11h58_53.png

Please see the attached workbook for more information.

Thanks,

Mavis

• 2. Re: Getting the last 10 entries of each item
            rajat jain

Hi Mavis,

Thanks for the help,

I tried doing that with tableau but it didn't work out as planned. I gave the unit srl nbr & timestamp in the rows and created a last function in the rows column however it didn't turn out as on the screen.

I tried creating a new field using alteryx and then with tableau i was able to achieve it though it was a time consuming exercise.

Can you please explain why we chose discrete and then continous in the filters so i can get to know how to work with that?

• 3. Re: Getting the last 10 entries of each item
              Mavis Liu

Hi Rajat,

The only reason why I used continuous in the filter is because you can create a range which makes it easier to filter in this case.

So rather than a discrete field where I'll have to check on 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc... like this:

2018-06-15_07h49_29.png

Whereas with a continuous, I can just set the max value:

2018-06-15_07h50_09.png

Thanks,

Mavis