5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2018 5:50 AM by Ubaldo Puocci

Help me clarify what the toolbar "Refresh" icon does.

Ubaldo Puocci

Hello,

I have an instance of Tableau Server 2018.1 running on a Wndows Server 2016 VM.

I published a workbook on the Server from Tableau Desktop with and extract of some (sample) MySQL data. In the Server, I set up a scheduled refresh for my extract. Whenever the extract refreshes (both manually or automatically) and I open the view, the data is up to date. But if the refresh happens when I am already in the view and I click on the "Refresh" button in the toolbar, the view updates (the circle appears) but the underlying data doesn't.

I also noted that everything works as expected when I use a live connection instead: the refresh button actually refreshes data, and if I close and reopen the view the data is not refreshed (it would be if I selected "Refresh more often" in the Server configuration).

fff.png

Can someone explain to me what this button really does when working with an extract?

Thank you.

EDIT:

Let me clarify this further. I recreated the steps to obtain this "anomaly" (if it's not intended):

I have a connection estabilished witha MySQL db with this test table, containing 2 rows as you can see below.

pic1.PNG

pic2.PNG

Right now I'm publishing my workbook to the Server as follows:

pic3.png

pic4.PNG

Then I add another row to the test table:

pic5.PNG

And I run the extract with the view still open in another tab:

pic6.PNG

When I click the Refresh button, nothing happens. The extract it's already done but the view is not updating.

pic8.PNG

The view updates only when I refresh the page.

pic9.PNG

Messaggio modificato da Ubaldo Puocci

• 1. Re: Help me clarify what the toolbar "Refresh" icon does.
          Ritesh Bisht

Hey Ubaldo,

Summary ---> REFRESH BUTTON != EXTRACT REFRESH

Refresh button will not help you to get recent data  if your connection is of type extract , Refresh button is not extract refresh.

Refresh button makes sense with the live connection only and you should also know the  below :

Views published to Tableau Server are interactive and sometimes have a live connection to a database. As users interact with the views in a web browser, the data that is queried gets stored in a cache. Subsequent visits will pull the data from this cache if it is available. The Data Connections tab is where you configure aspects of caching that will apply to all data connections:

To configure caching, select from one of the following options: :

• Refresh Less Often—Data is cached and reused whenever it is available regardless of when it was added to the cache. This option minimizes the number of queries sent to the database. Select this option when data is not changing frequently. Refreshing less often may improve performance.
          • Balanced—Data is removed from the cache after a specified number of minutes. If the data has been added to the cache within the specified time range the cached data will be used, otherwise new data will be queried from the database.
          • Refresh More Often—The database is queried each time the page is loaded. The data is still cached and will be reused until the user reloads the page. This option will ensure users see the most up to date data; however, it may decrease performance.

Find more here ---> Configure Data Connections

Please mark the answer as CORRECT/HELPFUL if it really helped you so that it can help others too.

Thanks,

Ritesh

• 2. Re: Help me clarify what the toolbar "Refresh" icon does.
            Ubaldo Puocci

Thank you Ritesh,

I understand your point and thank you for your clarifications.

My question, however, was on a slightly different topic: when the Extract Refresh in done (in the background) and I am already in the view, shouldn't the view update with the most recent Extract data when I click the Refresh button in the toolbar?

Ubaldo

• 3. Re: Help me clarify what the toolbar "Refresh" icon does.
              Ubaldo Puocci

I updated the original post with some pictures to help others understand my problem.

Ubaldo

• 4. Re: Help me clarify what the toolbar "Refresh" icon does.
                Ritesh Bisht

Got your point , Sorry for the confusion earlier.

I am not sure but I can say one thing ....

To speed things up and conserve communications bandwidth, browsers attempt to keep local copies of pages, images, and other content you've visited, so that it need not be downloaded again later. Occasionally this caching scheme goes awry (e.g. the browser insists on showing out-of-date content) making it necessary to bypass the cache, thus forcing your browser to re-download a web page's complete, up-to-date content. This is sometimes referred to as a "hard refresh", "cache refresh", or "uncached reload". The rest of your cache is not affected.

Refresh Button --------> Cache Data  -----> Not pointing to Latest Extract Refresh

Page  Re-load  --------> Cache Data  (Cache refresh/Hard refresh )----->  Yes pointing to Latest Refresh because

I am still not 100% sure but it makes little sense to me.

I just tried to compare this with Wikipedia:Bypass your cache - Wikipedia

Thanks,

Ritesh

• 5. Re: Help me clarify what the toolbar "Refresh" icon does.
                  Ubaldo Puocci

Thanks Ritesh,

I understand the concept of web caching. I was not talking about that. I was talking about the Refresh button and what it did on click when using a Refresh that updated on the background while the view was open. The browser refresh was just a way to help others see that the extract and the data are actually there.

My assumption: Tableau Server doesn't "switch" extracts while a user is using the view.

Ubaldo