5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2018 6:00 AM by Jennifer VonHagel

Improve performance

Shri Siva

I have very simple requirement to create tableau table with 16 dimensions .

Query is very simple with select 16 columns from a table with no where clause.

I have created tableau extract  and total no of records is  145000 .

Performance is very slow taking 50 to 60  secs to load and for each filter it takes more than 40 secs.

I have 6 filters  so I tried adding to context  also but still there is no improvement. i have attached the workbook please suggest something to improve the performance.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Improve performance
          lei.chen.0

Hello Shri,

Here is a general check list for you reference.

The Tableau Performance Checklist: Filtering – Minimize Quick Filters

And my advices for your workbook are,

1. Pause Updates When Building Large Views

Turn off Automatic Updates to Boost Performance

2. Refine your context filter

[Planning ID] filter is added to context.

However, the place order of the filters in the dashboard are, [Input Material], [Lot Number], [Package Code], [Planning ID]...

When deciding which filter to add to the context, my criteria are,

• I have to use context filter to work with LOD, in order to get the correct calculation results.
          • This field is most frequently used by the workbook consumer to filter.
          • This field is efficient to filter (has only a few of members).

3. Enable "show apply button"

Filter Data from Your Views

Regards

Lei

• 2. Re: Improve performance
            Jennifer VonHagel

Hi Shri, everything Lei said is important to read first. In addition,

If you look at a Tableau Performance checklist, it will say that you want to minimize the number of individual marks in a sheet. The more there are to render, the worse performance will be. For tableau to query and aggregate across 150k records from a data source - that is not very many records and not a problem for performance. But for tableau to render 150k rows in a big table takes some time. https://interworks.com/blog/zgorman/2015/11/09/tableau-performance-checklist-rendering-limit-text-tables-lots-marks/

Also, regarding the quick filters: What is the general flow of how the end user would begin filtering down the data? Are they likely to filter first for planning id? Or first for Auart? Something else? Hopefully , they want to filter first for Auart, since this column has only a few unique values and may be a good way to initially minimize the number of records being drawn in the dashboard.

I added Auart to context. When a filter is added to context, then when this filter is applied, the workbook will only query against the filtered values rather than all values in the database.

So with Auart added to context (and the other filters not added to context), if we select ZP05 that has only 1568 records, the dashboard will update immediately when using the other filters, very fast. It is still a little slow if ZP03 is selected, since that is 100k+ records.

Also, for all the filters in the dashboard, I chose Customize > Show Apply Button (as Lei mentioned also).

I also set all the filters to All Values in Context. I haven't seen written documentation that this helps performance, but when I tested it in your workbook it cut down the "Compute Filters" time considerably.

This is a very specific example assuming Auart is the best first thing to filter on. If that isn't the case, you'll want to tailor these concepts for the specific flow of filter use you expect will be most common.

If it is the case that someone is likely to look at only one Auart at a time, I would go ahead and set the filter to one of these having less than 100k records, and save the book with the filter set. Then when someone opens the report, there are few marks to render and the report will be up more quickly. Then the user can change the filter to a different Auart if they wish.

I have attached your workbook with updates.

Thanks,

Jennifer

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Improve performance
              Shri Siva

thanks you so much.

Yes if I filter by AUART then it is fast

• 4. Re: Improve performance
                Shri Siva

after following the above steps the report now takes only 3 secs

• 5. Re: Improve performance
                  Jennifer VonHagel

That's great!