3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2018 1:40 PM by Ken Flerlage

Actions>Target Filters

Sri Kumaran Thirupathy

When I add more than a field in Actions>Target Filters (Selected Field), the action filter resulting with comma separated value.

For Ex.:

Field-1: State

Field-2: Country

Filter: New Jersey, USA

Tamilnadu, India

Sydney, Australia

Due to comma separation, the filter is not working. How to handle this case?

• 1. Re: Actions>Target Filters
          Jim Dehner

Hi

any filter that is passed with an action will be a literal match -

haven't seen all your data but I would split it dimension on the , and have separate country and state  field to complete the match

you will then have 3 field in the one file a state a country and the original comma separated state country

you would only match on the 2 but could  use the third in your viz

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Actions>Target Filters
            Jeevan Krishna

Hi Kumaran,

Can you provide more context when you say the filter is not working? Can you post an image or workbook for easier understanding?

Coming to comma separated fields - Whenever you apply an action based on multiple fields, tableau creates a combined field separated by commas and enables filtering capabilities for each combination of those fields. This is the expected behavior in tableau.

Do you need some other implementation?

• 3. Re: Actions>Target Filters
              Ken Flerlage

Are you saying it's combining the two fields together? That doesn't make sense.

I just created a sample with Superstore data. I set up the filter as follows:

It works as expected. See the attached workbook.