8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2018 6:13 AM by jon rios

    Replacing Data Source Causes Viz to Disappear?

    Connor Buckley

      I'm getting some issues when replacing an SQL Server Data Source with a Tableau Server data source (of identical column names and format).

       

      Upon replacement, although no issues (red fields or missing fields) pop up, my Viz will disappear and I will have to manually go to each Worksheet and remove and replace a filter. After replacing the filter, the Viz will reappear. Wondering if there is a way to get this filter to update on its own instead of me having to manually go to each page and reapply it as I will have to replace the data source on all of our workbooks as we upgrade our server infrastructure. Note that the workarounds commonly mentioned regarding replacing data sources have not worked for me on this issue.

       

      Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

        • 1. Re: Replacing Data Source Causes Viz to Disappear?
          Deepak Rai

          So What do you do Exactly to Filter after Replacing Data Source?

          • 2. Re: Replacing Data Source Causes Viz to Disappear?
            Connor Buckley

            All I am doing to the Filter is removing it from the Worksheet completely. I then drag that same filter back in and apply the appropriate response limitations. (for example, the filter is an Answer Dimension with possible responses of Yes, No, Null. I want to limit response to Yes/No, so I unselect the Null response and then add the filter). After adding the filter back in, my Viz reappears as it was before replacing Data Source.

            • 3. Re: Replacing Data Source Causes Viz to Disappear?
              Deepak Rai

              Do One Thing. Create a Set out of your Filter Dimension by Taking Out NULL and Keeping Yes and No Values Only and the n Replace your Filter with This Set.

              • 4. Re: Replacing Data Source Causes Viz to Disappear?
                Connor Buckley

                Sorry I should have explained the filter in more detail. The Answer Dimension is not limited to Yes/No/Null. Those are 3 possible Values that are relevant to One Question. Each Worksheet essentially represents one Question (Which is a separate dimension that I filter by). The full range of Answers is something large like 60k different values. But, for an individual question, the amount of answers is usually limited down to a range of 2-10 responses.

                 

                So, I would then unfortunately have to go through each worksheet and add this set which would put me back at square one.

                • 5. Re: Replacing Data Source Causes Viz to Disappear?
                  Deepak Rai

                  Hmmmm...Looks Strange to me, Because u say u don't see any Red marks...then why you need to reset filter?

                  • 6. Re: Replacing Data Source Causes Viz to Disappear?
                    Connor Buckley

                    Resetting the filter is the only way I can get my Visualization for each Worksheet to reappear after replacing data source. I am just removing and replacing the filter as it was, but the Visualization will show up again after replacing the filter. It wouldn't be an issue if I wasn't working with large Workbooks with 40+ Worksheets.

                    • 7. Re: Replacing Data Source Causes Viz to Disappear?
                      Deepak Rai

                      Yes I can understand the effort, But Not able to Figure out the reason at this moment...Sorry

                      • 8. Re: Replacing Data Source Causes Viz to Disappear?
                        jon rios

                        this post is old but i just experienced same thing... Go to your dashboards or sheets that are "broken" and check the filters, which one don't have data or have errors... those are the fields you need to fix when using an extract. Here is my story.

                         

                        my situation: I was connecting to a SQL sever, the date field from sql table was a string (201504), the previous tableau developer created calculated field to convert to a date but didnt create a fully formatted date. When i would create and use extract, i noticed the calc date fields were NULL. if i connected directly to server ("Live") the calc date field would show dates correctly. But the dates were not a fully qualified date, in U.S. a properly formatted date is, 1/12/2013, so Jan 12, 2013.  My string was 201501, 201502, etc.  So only year and month.

                         

                        So I had to use DATE to create a fully formatted date. Once i did that, i was able to use the extract because the dates were working properly. My issue was with date field but check your filters drop downs and see which ones dont have good data and check your calcs and the data type used, etc...

                         

                        // [Open Period ID] = 201503

                        // new Date field = 3/1/2015

                         

                        DATE(

                        RIGHT( str ([Open Period ID]), 2)  +  "/"

                        +  "1"

                        + "/" +

                        LEFT(  str ([Open Period ID]), 4)

                        )