11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2018 7:07 PM by lei.chen.0

Confused with dataset.. how to explore what exactly to visualise?

Izzie Cosgrove

Hi all,

Using Tableau Desktop 10.5 with this dataset regarding the upcoming congressional election (attached). It is actually for a job interview this week!

I'm quite new to Tableau (the job I'm interviewing for trains you up so you aren't initially expected to be knowledgeable on the software) and I'm used to excel. The data I've worked with before has been quite simple to understand as I've always manually analysed aspects of it through excel. This dataset I have to use is a bit more confusing and I can't seem to find many insights with it through Tableau. I'm wondering if there is a way Tableau can suggest trends or if there are any tutorials oriented to understanding the data?

So far from this dataset I have visualised the date and the % of those answering the polls preferring Democrat/Republican and have noticed that likely voters are closer to voting rep than any other population yet have the smallest sample size by far - which I will use in the interview - but I feel like I'm waiting the data if I don't include some of the other columns, not sure what grade, influence or weight refers to and couldn't seem to find any trends regarding those but I am just concerned that I'm missing something?

Secondly, I would like to change the 'weekly preference' worksheet so that instead of the date on the axis it reads as "days until the election" and has however many days until Nov 6th 2018.

Apologies there are a lot of sheets in the workbook as I've been experimenting... any help would be amazing

Thanks!

Izzie

• 1. Re: Confused with dataset.. how to explore what exactly to visualise?
          sudheer.kumar.5

Hello Izzie,

Can't open the .TWBX file, it has a connection to the server.

S

• 2. Re: Confused with dataset.. how to explore what exactly to visualise?
            Izzie Cosgrove

How do I fix that? Sorry I haven't posted before so wasn't sure how the packaged workbook worked exactly

• 3. Re: Confused with dataset.. how to explore what exactly to visualise?
              Izzie Cosgrove

I've closed Tableau on my laptop (and clicked quit the program to ensure it isn't running in the background) I can open it fine from this forum post so I'm assuming that was the issue. Should be ok now?

• 4. Re: Confused with dataset.. how to explore what exactly to visualise?
                Mavis Liu

Hi Izzie,

How about searching for similar kind of views on Tableau Public? e.g. Forecasting the 2016 Election | Tableau Public

or Tableau Public

You can download these workbooks and take a look at how they were built.

Thanks,

Mavis

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Confused with dataset.. how to explore what exactly to visualise?
                  Izzie Cosgrove

They look good but I don't have any geographical data to work with and it is done via the popular vote I believe so overall %.

Were you able to take a look at the data I attached? Not sure what else to include from that data specifically as I have to make that file the focus. I have already included the trend lines over time like the one in the link you sent but more specifically I'm wondering if anyone can advise from the data attached if I am missing something. So I've made trend lines to show overall preference over time (like in the link you sent) and then using population as a filter (All Americans, registered voters and likely voters) but can't seem to find any other insights. 

• 6. Re: Confused with dataset.. how to explore what exactly to visualise?
                    lei.chen.0

Hello Izzie,

Don't worry, your .twbx file is fine.

What I am puzzled at is, why you made such a inner join within the same file

Tableau Desktop provides suggestion on viz types when you've selected more than one filed, not on which field(s) to select for analysis.

Some of pre-analysis checks I usually do are, for example,

Please refer to the attached workbook for details.

I also played with your data set and created three vizzes.

Since I'm not familiar with the data set, the vizzes might make no sense

Regards

Lei

• 7. Re: Confused with dataset.. how to explore what exactly to visualise?
                      Izzie Cosgrove

Oh haha I updated the Excel and it wouldn't seem to update on Tableau so I just did that quickly to test something out but I meant to delete the connection afterwards, oops.

I can't open your attachment? It keeps failing. I'll try downloading the most recent update of Tableau and see if that's the issue.

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 08.18.10.png

I am about as familiar with the dataset as anyone opening it and having a look through it would be! Not worked with it before. I had to do some googling to determine what 'rv', 'lv' and 'a' meant and still unsure on several of the field names.

• 8. Re: Confused with dataset.. how to explore what exactly to visualise?
                        Izzie Cosgrove

Ah ok I downloaded 2018.1 and I am into your file.

Are you able to tell me why you chose the adjusted dem/rep instead of dem/rep. Like do you know how they were adjusted for the new values? Usually I can imagine that data may be adjusted to take into account certain variables but I can't see any info on what those could be in this instance.

I like the polls info, not sure what to take away from it for my viz but it looks cool! I also particularly like the 3rd viz! I know the data includes just dem/rep preference and I assume that the remaining % is for 'not sure'. So I suppose it could make sense for them to be adjusted to add upto 100% as to what % of those who know who they'd vote for chose democratic or republic etc.

I added a filter to change population and see how this affects the %, when I select likely voters though, the bars look less attached like they do with all the data. Is this just because the quantity of data is too small for that look or is there a way to modify that? Or is there a way to have a trend line between the bars with the % of each party when hovering and the line changes colour depending on which party exceeds 50%?

I re attached

(PS thanks so much for your help)

• 9. Re: Confused with dataset.. how to explore what exactly to visualise?
                          lei.chen.0

Hello Izzie,

Great decision to try out 2018.1 !

It's fun to discuss with you about playing with data sets even I don't quite understand it

Izzie Cosgrove wrote:

Are you able to tell me why you chose the adjusted dem/rep instead of dem/rep. Like do you know how they were adjusted for the new values? Usually I can imagine that data may be adjusted to take into account certain variables but I can't see any info on what those could be in this instance.

I picked up the adjusted ones just because "adjusted" ones ususally look smarter though I have no idea about the adjustments

I searched for the descriptions of this data set, but ended up with "no description provided".

generic_polllist function | R Documentation

But it seems that this viz provides more details about the data set.

Are Democrats Or Republicans Winning The Race For Congress? | FiveThirtyEight

Izzie Cosgrove wrote:

I added a filter to change population and see how this affects the %, when I select likely voters though, the bars look less attached like they do with all the data. Is this just because the quantity of data is too small for that look or is there a way to modify that? Or is there a way to have a trend line between the bars with the % of each party when hovering and the line changes colour depending on which party exceeds 50%?

I'm not sure if I understand the first question correctly.

But if you mean the bar width, it changes because I selected "Fit Width", so bar width is dynamics (viewer width / bar numbers).

If you change to "Standard", then the bar width becomes fixed.

As for the color, I modified the viz a little.

Please refer to the attached workbook for the details

Regards

Lei

• 10. Re: Confused with dataset.. how to explore what exactly to visualise?
                            Izzie Cosgrove

Ah I see! Is there a way to change the bar width so that it fills the graph each time? I love how it looks when there is enough data for the bar graph to look solid without borders between each data point. But when I change it to LV on the filter there is less data and the bars are separately regardless of if I fit them in the view etc.

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 10.11.04.png

Ok so I wasn't sure how to explain it so I tried to do a quick sketch on paper hahaha:

WhatsApp Image 2018-06-12 at 10.06.02.jpeg

I want to know if I can create the black line between the colours which when hovered upon would show Democrat - in blue (if the % is above 50) or Republic - in red (if the % is above 50) in the tooltip as well as the actual % of both on that day. I don't want the individual bars to show when I hover over, just the data points on that line? If that makes sense?

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 10.19.05.png <<(So I don't want this, I just want data points on the black line in the sketch)

This is fun and helpful, thank you! My first post on this forum too.

• 11. Re: Confused with dataset.. how to explore what exactly to visualise?
                              lei.chen.0

Hello Izzue,

Congrats for your first post and I want to say, I like the sketch

Just simply change the mark type to "Area".

As for the tooltip, Viz in Tooltip is here! | Tableau Software works for your requirements.

Please refer to the attached workbook for details.

image.png

One thing I want to mention is that, please check the story and the logic of this viz.

Since the sum of demo-poll% and rep-poll% doesn't make 100% actually.

In order to demonstrate, I just simply calculated the percentage.

Regards

Lei